10 - Shelter from Harm

Eden's POV

I feel like I've been born anew.

Cheesy, I know, but ever since letting Dante in and opening up to him about my struggles before coming here, a bit of the weight has been lifted off of me. It's easier to breathe, focus, and work towards my new life here.

Which includes a devilishly handsome Alpha mate.

We've hung out a little more since my major revelation to him about my past, and being in his company has been refreshing. I'm letting myself feel wholeheartedly for the first time. We haven't fully announced our pairing to the pack and academy yet, as we both decided it would be good to just take it slow. We're not necessarily keeping it a secret, but we're not actively telling anyone. If they find out by other means, we will just roll with it.

I'm nervous for what this means for me – being a Luna of a pack – but who wouldn't be. Dante and I haven't really touched the subject yet, but I'm sure we will with time.

I've finished classes for the day, and since it's a Monday, it's magic training this evening. I'm walking out to meet Valleth for the evening, after having dinner and putting all my books and notes away and grabbing my sweater. As I get to the main door, I hear my name. I grasp my sweater tightly in my hands as I turn around to avoid dropping it to the floor.

Adelaide and Astrid are running towards me, carrying their own heavy sweaters. I tilt my head in confusion. "What are you two doing?"

"Valleth asked us to come tonight, with Alpha."

My eyes widen and I sputter. "To...my magic training? You sure?" They both nod and smile. "Maybe Valleth wants you to have support?" Astrid suggests and I shrug my shoulders. "I really don't know, but I guess if she asked you to come..."

We all turn back and walk out towards Valleth's hut on the lake, and sure enough, I see the tall muscular frame of Dante, waiting with a cloaked Valleth just outside her front door. I pull my sweater over my head and roll up the sleeves as I approach them, Adelaide, and Astrid not far behind me.

Dante turns as he senses my approach and the smile I get in return makes my pulse skip.

"There you are." I stand with my hands behind my back; not sure if I should reveal all yet with my sister and good friend so close by. As if reading my thoughts, he walks up to me and caresses my face, the heat of our bond shooting through me. I quickly glance over my shoulder at my sister and Astrid, and it takes everything in me to not burst out laughing.

Both of their eyes are wide like saucers, mouths slightly agape and just utter confusion and shock emanating from them. "Alpha?" Astrid questions and he chuckles. "Don't worry Astrid. She's okay." He turns his attention back to me and asks, "Do you want to tell them?" I bite my lip and nod. I turn to face them, with Dante now at my back.

"Alpha Dante is my mate."

The squeal that comes from my sister makes me cringe and shrink back as she runs and collides with me, almost knocking me over in the process. "I KNEW IT!" She yells and I playfully push her away from me, but she grasps my hands tightly in her own. "New beginnings, huh?" I smile and pull her into a hug. "You know it."

She releases me and Astrid is still just standing there in awe of the news. She pulls herself out of it after a few moments of processing and smiles. "Congratulations Alpha and Eden. That's amazing!"

I make eye contact with her before taking a few steps towards her. "We're just uh.. taking it slow so don't go blabbing to everyone, okay?" She nods and mimics zipping her lips.

Back to the task at hand.

I turn and face Dante. "Is there a reason you all are here?" I glance at Valleth as she closes the gap between her and our group. "Yes. I'm testing a theory with your magic; but you may not like it."

My demeanour changes immediately. "What do you mean?"

"I'm going to try and attack them with my magic and see if you can counter and defend them with yours."

"Are you kidding? I haven't been able to manifest a single ounce of magic unless my emotions are running...." I stop myself.

Emotions. Putting people I care about in danger.

"I don't think this is a good idea." I state sternly and Valleth shakes her head. "I know you don't agree, but this is all to see exactly how much power you have, Eden."

I look to Dante. "You're okay with this?" I question and he nods. "Valleth won't hurt us, tesoro."

I really need to look up that nickname.

"You girls don't have to if you're not comfortable." Dante tells Adelaide and Astrid, and they shake their heads almost in unison. "If it will help, let's do it." Adelaide says with such resolve it makes my eyes water with emotion.

She's always supported me, through everything. The absolute best sibling I could have ever asked for.

"Okay, it's settled. Alpha, Astrid, and Adelaide, please go stand across from me, a good distance away, please." Valleth gently asks and they all move simultaneously away, leaving me in between them and Valleth.

My heartbeat pounds loudly in my ears, the anxiety creeping in at what we're about to do. "Valleth..." I say quietly and she gives me a look of such determination, as if she knows I can do this. I don't have the most faith in myself, but I guess it's now or never.

"I'm going to aim at them, and you try to deflect it from where you are, then we will change your position and see if that changes anything. Ready?"

I nod, raising my hands and squeezing my fingers tightly into my palms. I concentrate, taking everything that Valleth has taught me over the past month and a half and I feel warmth radiating from my hands, and I'm shocked and appalled that I can even feel it.

You can do this, human. Focus!

Rieka lends me some of her mental and physical strength, reinforcing my focus and determination. Valleth raises her hands, signalling she's about to attack and as she brings her hands down, I lower mine and force with all my might.

Protect them at all costs.

Valleth's lightning magic doesn't even get close before my own is lashing out and colliding with hers. Static crackles in the air as the magic dissipates. I'm in awe that I managed to even manifest something, but to block Valleth's completely?

"Good, Eden. Now in front of them."

I change position and stand in front of them now, arms at the ready. I focus on Valleth and she sends out more strikes – consecutive and in short bursts. I block majority of them before some start to get away from me. "They're getting close, Eden...." Astrid says with worry in her tone, obviously scared that she's going to get zapped.

I focus all my energy to keep blocking, but realize that it isn't enough, I need to protect them from any type of hit from any magic and deflect it for a prolonged amount of time. I continue to focus and envision my magic spreading out as a barrier. I yell out as the wind picks up, whipping my hair wildly, before dying down again.

"Eden." I hear Dante's voice and I glance behind me and gasp.

There's a magic shield around the three of them. Light; but it's there. Dante smiles and I lose concentration, the shield dissipating with it.

"Oh my.... I did that?"

"Yes, you did Eden. Well done." Valleth states proudly as she approaches.

"You're strong Eden, and it seems like you have access to a lot of magic. What I felt from you was only a fraction of what I can sense in you. We will have to be careful, but this gives me a good insight into how to continue your training."

Dante hugs me from behind, his warmth comforting. "I'm so proud of you."

I smile. Me too.

____________________________

- Eden's magic is improving!

- See you in the next one!! - vv