Jade- Even Morays Need Rest

A/N: Hello again! Here I am with another update! Why? Because why not.

Here you will see some wholesome fluff with Jade! I hope you like! Even if the concept seems...kinda basic...

(P.S. I am clearly bad at making titles eheheheh)

-Even Morays Need Rest-

Saturday. A day off from school, away from learning, without responsibilities...for most people. When you are a member of Octavinelle, one thing always comes before a day off: money. Instead of going shopping with my friends or sleeping in, I was forced to work today. The only thing that kept me going was how hot I looked in my uniform. That, and spending time with my favorite moray eel.

I had already been working for a few hours, taking drinks to tables and passing orders back and forth. It had been busy up until this point, and now was the small grace period before teens rushed the place for lunch.

I found myself instinctively walking towards the bar. I knew exactly who I would find behind it. Previously, I would only watch as he poured drinks, staying to myself as I stared. Now that Jade Leech was my boyfriend, I loved spending time with him during my breaks.

I sat on one of the bar stools, waiting as he completed orders on the other side. A smile adorned my face as he spun in my direction. A small cup filled with tea was placed before me, a tired looking moray staring into my eyes.

I took a sip and looked up to catch his gaze. There was something off about the eel. His demeanor was more lax than it typically was, his eyes half-lidded and his smile weak. A few strands of displaced hair were flung to odd angles off his head. If not for his voice, I would have thought Floyd was pretending to be his twin.

"Well hello Y/n." Perhaps his voice was a bit off as well... "Do you-" He broke off, coughing in the middle of the sentence. "Ahem- need something? Azul is in a meeting with a client right now, but I can help you with whatever it is you want."

My brow furrowed. Perhaps I was right to be worried. "Business is slowing, so I wanted to come say hi."

Jade let out another small cough. He tried to conceal the fit, but this only made it worse.

"Are you alright?"

He adjusted himself, clearing his throat. "It's nothing really. Only a minor inconvenience." He looked as if he could fall over. If not for the counter in front of me, I would have jumped to help stabilize the poor moray.

"It doesn't look, or rather sound, like nothing." I looked Jade up and down, realizing his shirt was only half tucked and his pants were not ironed fully.

"I just feel a little warm. I'm sure taking a swim after my shift will help." He flashed that smile of his. How I wanted to believe him.

"It- doesn't look like you're drying, Jade. I think you might be sick."

His eyes widened for a passing moment, a rare break in his composed facade.

"It can't be that. I'm not one to get sick."

I stood from my chair, making my way around the bar. Jade let out another barrage. I stifled a sigh, rocking onto my toes so I could reach his forehead. Against my hand it was warm. Too warm. It was clear that Jade had a fever.

I grabbed Jade's arm, pulling him back to the other side. "Come on. We need to get you to bed."

Jade's brow furrowed with an almost distressed expression.

"As vice housewarden, I must take care of the lounge while Azul is busy. I can't ignore my duties." ...Excuses.

"You're not talking me out of this. I'll get Floyd to take care of things. You're going to your room and resting." I paused. "I'll make you soup."

Jade shook his head. "I'm telling you, my pearl, I'm not sick. I must continue my work, my brother can't be left in charge!"

"He can and he will." I opened the door to Jade's bedroom, forcing the eel inside. "You need to rest. What if you make a customer sick?"

I had broken him with this. He finally, though hesitantly, agreed.

"Fine. If you insist." A small laugh escaped from his lips. "I do look forward to trying that soup you mentioned." Jade sat down on the edge of his bed.

I smiled to myself, turning towards the door. "I'll make sure it's the best you've ever had!" I turned the knob and let it creak open.

"Y/n?" I stopped, turning back to face him.

"Th-" Jade paused, almost unsure with the words.

"Thank you."

A/N: Tada! Hope you liked it! If there are any mistakes then...I apologize. I keep writing and posting these at super late hours. Probably not the healthiest, but as of right now, I'm on fall break. So it's fine!!!

Sorry if it was short- I'm trying 🥲

Words: ...849