Prompt: Fishing With Harpoons- Azul

A/n: You see- I wrote one for Jade. Thought I wouldn't like it so I made one for Floyd too! It pretty much just turned into a prompt with all three.

Fluff at the beginning and then it just morphs into angst.

-Shallow Depths-

How beautiful the day was. The salt water, the warm temperatures near the surface, even the shells scattered about had a wonderful glow.

It was nice to be back. It was very rare to receive a break from both Mostro and school, so I planned to take advantage of the day.

I started it off with breakfast, as any person would. That's when I had seen the stressed look upon my boyfriend's face, laboring over paperwork and other needless activities.

"Azul! Why are you over here all on your own?"

"Even with the break today, there's still things I need to get done. You understand, don't you?"

The answer to that question was no. I had quickly bent down, taking the cephalopod into my arms (bridal-style). His face had flushed bright pink. I still somehow managed to get him to the beach, though perhaps he was only frightened of what I might do if he jumped down....

That catches us up to now. For the longest while, Azul stayed up on the sand. It wasn't until a slight burn appeared on his skin that he finally decided to join me in the water. After further prodding, I convinced him that no one else would be at the beach (not with how blisteringly hot it was). He hesitantly took his true form with me, though his arms were crossed to cover much of his chest.

I swam up to Azul, taking hold of one of his arms.

"Come on! You can't just sit there forever."

"I could if I wanted." He remarked, though followed me despite this.

I led him into the deeper water, smiling back as he followed. I then let go, swimming circles around his outstretched tentacles. How beautiful they truly were...

I could see the faint smile painted on his lips. This only allowed mine to grow as I quickly moved forward to hug him.

"You're so pretty, you know that?"

Before he could argue, I released, swimming down to collect shells along the bottom.

"You're as spastic as the twins today!" Azul chuckled, staring down upon me.

"I'm just glad to be back where I belong." I defended.

"But- you belong with me!"

I instantly blushed, dropping the shells. It was only then that I could see the growing shadow along the surface. A large object, barely penetrating the water.

A boat shouldn't be near an area this shallow. Or perhaps we had gone further than I first realized...still. The school wasn't far from this area, and the beach would otherwise be filled with students. They had to be here illegally. There were no other possibilities.

"Azul!" I tried to catch his attention, but he was still too focused on his embarrassment.

I tried to swim up to Azul, stressing my hand to pull him down.

I was too late.

Before my eyes, a metal rod was shot into the water. Too shallow for whale fishing- no. This was their true intention.

I was quick to cut the rope connected to the object, looking to Azul to find the spear was lodged into his chest. I quickly grabbed him, carrying the merman once again towards the depths.

Blood was mixing with the water. It streamed from Azul's mouth as he tried to breathe out.

I ran my hand through his hair, pulling him closer. "It's going to be okay." I whispered, trying to convince myself.

I would get my magic pen and place a spell on the wound. A healing spell. I was good at those? I could carry him back. Run back. I just hoped my legs were strong enough once making the transformation.

"It's going to be okay." I reaffirmed.

Will it hurt him more if he changes forms? If I take him out of the water, will his change of survival demenish? You don't take an object from a wound with humans or most other merfolk, but he's a cephalopod! Does that make a difference?

I was frantic, scared any decision I made would only make things worse. I couldn't leave Azul there on his own, but removing him from the water seemed near fatal. I was wasting time. The longer I sat here, the worse he would get. Perhaps there was an underwater city nearby? But that was a shot in the dark as well.

"This is...this is all my fault..." That statement was true. If I had not forced him into the water, then we would not be in this mess. If I could have just left well enough alone...maybe he would have made it back to the school- healthy. Just fine.

A/N: I don't know if I love or hate this one...not that it matters. You're enjoying. That's what does.

Never imagined myself purposely doing a little prompt series thing like this- but hey, it works.

Words: 858