Chapter 28 | The Public Made it's Choice

While her stay was brief, she still felt incredibly lonely

Zisa hadn't visited her once, and neither did Heidrun. The cloaked man was the only one who visited her.

Baldur scolded and punished Vor for kidnapping her, but she still felt like things weren't completely fixed. Aun and Vor still didn't believe her, A strange man in the woods was after her, and she still didn't know who she was.

The woman left the healer's building, donning a white sweater and warm bell-bottom pants. The cloak gifted to her rested on her shoulders, slightly dragging on the ground.

Her hair was tied in a high ponytail, just enough to keep it from dragging. Her hair was beautiful, but it truly annoyed her sometimes.

Treading down the three steps leading to the door of the building, she was forced to stop when three figures blocked her path.

"You're the one." One of them snarled. Three men stood in front of her, all incredibly tall and foreboding. 

It was easy to tell that they were hunters, a rank known throughout the tribe as similar to being a military soldier. They protected the land from harm.

"If it weren't for you, we wouldn't have this creep on our land." One of them growled, "He's terrifying the children!"

Lily frowned, "I don't-"

"You shouldn't have come back!"

The three begin to approach her, and she decides it is a better idea to bolt.

Lily ran as fast as she could. Her bandaged feet ached inside her boots, the crisp air blowing past her as she ran down the pathways.

Tribe members watched her run past, some joining the chase after seeing the three men speed past them. It was clear many members shared similar views as Vor, even though their leader showed his clear distaste for the mistreatment.

She felt she couldn't trust Zisa anymore, and Eir was not questionable. The only person Lily could trust was the other guest- who she didn't even know the name of!

Oh, god, what kind of punishment is this? It's so... unfair.

Loud yelling sounded behind her. They were clearly chasing her, and she definitely couldn't outrun three large and muscular men. It was self-explanatory on why.

Instead of running further, she notices a small cottage up ahead. It was the only building that hadn't been updated to modern standards. It was made of old wood that stood up strong against time, some dead vines attached to its sides. Lily did not discriminate- a hiding place is a hiding place.
She flung the cottage door open, wobbling inside and slamming it shut. Lily leaned her back on the door as she panted hurriedly. Hiding was the best she could do- hopefully until her knight in shining armor came swooping in, but she knew she couldn't rely on him to protect her all the time.

The entryway leads into a comfortable living room. Old pictures, some black and white, and some paintings depicted older days of the tribe's standing.

Cultural ornaments were hung everywhere. Candles kept the room lit, scents of maple, pine, and cinnamon floating across the home.

"Ndíthäk?" A deep, gravelly voice called out from further inside the home.
[Hello?]

Stepping out from the living room, a tall man stared at her with a raised brow. He had a beard and short grey hair, luckily devoid of balding. The elderly man had the muscle of a cosmic god.

He set a mug of tea on his coffee table, still steaming. It was poured seconds ago.

"Ah-" Her eyes were wide, eyebrows raised. "Uhm- ich'nän..." She stuttered.
[My bad...]

He sighed, scratching his beard, "Seems you don't know me..." He muttered before shaking his head.

Lily was confused about his response. Was the home she picked the one with an important figure?

"I'm Hodur Vīss- the Gamall of the tribe." He pressed a hand against his chest, "Barging into the Gamall's home is an offense- but since you're a guest, I'll let it slide."
[Elder.]

What great luck she had.

She nodded with a small smile. He began studying her appearance, eyeing her head to toe. This made her shiver nervously.

Suddenly, it seemed the man noticed something. With a shocked expression, he quickly approached her. "What's your name?" He'd ask, clearly kinder than everyone else.

"Uh- Lily." She gulped nervously. Was he going to capture her and bring her to those hunters?

He shook his head, "No, your actual name."

She locked the door, not knowing when or if the men would barge in. "Uhm- I'm sorry, But that's it." The woman frowned, hugging herself.

Hodur disagreed, "No, no that's... that's not it." He was one step away from her, his towering frame blocking the hallway light.

With his eyes looking down at her in concern, he clarified.

"I recall the Goddess being named Selene, not Lily."