Chapter 41 | The one who Cursed her

"Take your time, dear

"Take your time, dear."

Selene had prepared a plate of fresh chocolate chip cookies- setting them on the outdoor table.

River was busy delving into her mind, writing down anything that came to mind. She was the only one who vaguely remembered what Selene's sister said before death, so her task was nearly the most important.

Uncomfortable with being idle, the goddess had prepared baked goods for her to enjoy.

Of course, she couldn't fend off her feral husband from attacking the plate. He nabbed a cookie- attacking the pastry like a hungry ape. 

He reached toward the plate again, "Go slower, hun." She'd softly coo, which he heard- but swiftly ignored.

Nothing could stop Ullr from eating everything she made.

Selene's brows raised as a memory flooded in.

Sporting two mittens, she'd pull out the pan of freshly baked cookies.

The woman put it on the counter, taking off a mitten to wave at the smoking hot pastries. The delicious smell of chocolate chip cookies flooded through the cabin.

She noticed a large shadow towering in the kitchen doorway, shoulders raising and lowering slowly. His heavy breathing made it clear he just got home.

"Welcome home." Selene cooed at her boyfriend.

He grunted and strutted into the kitchen. His beautiful cerulean eyes landed on the cookies, slightly widening with hungry curiosity. At the sight of his cute fascination, she giggled. He wasn't much of a talker, but his body language and eyes spoke volumes.

"It's still hot." She warned, "Give it 4 minutes to cool, okay?"

Selene took off her apron and went to the restroom.

As soon as she got back, though...

Half the cookies were missing, and her boyfriend was chugging milk to cool his burning mouth.

A warm smile lifted her lips. She pushed a glass of milk toward her husband, who chugged half of it gleefully.

He wiped the white off his beard with the back of his hand. His expression softened when he glanced at her, and she did her best to ignore the... different... type of hunger she saw in them.

"I think I might've gotten it." River's gentle voice distracted her. 

Selene wandered over, slightly leaning over to look at the notebook she had written on. Numerous other French words were written, but at the bottom, she underlined the one she was talking about.
Scanning the words, she'd only partly recognize the word 'Loki,' but even that brought up little in her mind. Selene pursed her lips in frustration, so Ullr swiftly stole the notebook from across the table and looked at it.

River gasped in surprise before pouting.

"Don't get chocolate chip on the notebook, please." Selene kindly warned, which he huffed at. He quickly wiped his hands off on his pants.

His eyes scanned over the words, not understanding French, before settling on the same word she stared at earlier.

Ullr pursed his lips, "Loki." He'd rumble, "This is the mortal spelling."

"Mortal... spelling?" River tilted her head questionably.

He gestured for her pen with his large hand, which she curtly gave. Ullr wrote quickly- his writing font reminding Selene of chicken scratch. So cute.

"Lou'keei?" Selene would say, but it sounded identical to saying Loki.

Ullr nodded, "Using the mortal spelling wouldn't work when you're trying to summon her." He clarified, "Mortal spelling also pisses off Eldritch gods- more or less."

"She's... an Eldritch God?" Selene's eyes widened, "Like... Like Gii'yuh?"

"Debateably stronger." Ullr nodded.

River waved her hands, "Okay, back up, what is this about... Eldritch Gods? Gii'yuh?" She looked between them in absolute confusion- her poor and cute nephew was blissfully unaware.

Selene didn't know enough to educate others about Eldritch Gods, but Ullr was quite educated. She can assume that because he contacts Gii'yuh, the god that gifted him his power, he's well acquainted with this incredibly fucked-up part of reality.

"Cosmic beings too strong for us to comprehend; Gii'yuh gave me my power." Ullr curtly replied, "A mortal's mind would literally break if they looked at one."

"Oh." The French woman closed her mouth, clearly not fond of that fact.

The Goddess hugged herself, "Don't scare the poor girl." She frowned, "They're very scary."

"She's fine." Ullr reassured, "Knowing about them isn't nearly as bad as seeing one."

River sat in her chair, staring at the table before taking a cookie and sipping her glass of milk. Her being 'fine' was debatable, making Selene feel like a cuddly mother bear. She hurried over to the girl, wrapping her arms around her and pressing her head against her chest.
The woman softly cooed, running her fingers through her long white hair. "Don't worry," She'd reassure, "You'll be safe- promise. They'd never pop up in front of a mortal, okay?" Selene kissed the crown of her nephew's head.

River sighed in relief, sinking into her embrace. Signey was never a proper mother- so Selene felt like the mom she never had.

"Mmm..." She heard a deep hum, "I should really have a baby with you."

Way to ruin a moment.

Selene wildly gestured for him to stop, which only made him flash his famous cocky grin.

"In all seriousness-" He'd clear his throat, "If Lou'keei is the reason for your curse, I'm... skeptical about lifting it, now." Ullr honestly sighed.

She kept her nephew in her arms, "... Who is Lou'keei, Ullr?" Selene concernedly asked.

The God fidgeted, taking another sip of his milk. "God of Mischief, Witches, and Chaos." He leaned back in his chair, "She probably finds the curse entertaining, honestly."

Selene sank into River, clearly deflating hopelessly.

River hugged her aunt, "Don't think so negatively." She scolded her uncle, "Maybe you can make a deal with her that she'll find entertaining?"

His brows raised at this idea- genuinely finding it a good idea.

"Fuck, well, let's try."