my favorite fisher boy.

You couldn't miss it.

First you hear the three honks. A few seconds go by, and then the car doors open up. And by that point, I'm already looking out my window, the biggest smile on my face that you could imagine.

They're here. It's Laurel's familiar white SUV, and Susannah's yellow jeep following behind them. I watch from my window as Steven steps out of the car first. He's wearing typical Steven Conklin attire: a collared shirt, loose cotton shorts, and carrying a bag of opened cheetos that he must've been tearing up on the car ride here.

Next I see Belly jump out of the car, and that's when I can't hold back my excitement anymore. I run over to my closet to toss on an acceptable outfit, aka anything but the pajamas I have on still. I grab the first thing I see; one of Jeremiah's t-shirts. It's one that he grew out of years ago, but it fits me perfectly. I remember when he first got this shirt on the boardwalk. He was 13, with braces that made him look a little dorky. Susannah gave him a hard time about buying another cheesy boardwalk t-shirt, given that we all had a collection of them at that point. But she gave in, since Jeremiah convinced her to make it an extra early Christmas gift. She always fell for that trick.

I pair Jere's t-shirt with cut off denim shorts and slip on my preferred summer shoe, my Birkenstock's that have seen better days. Before I leave my room, I look out my bedroom window once more. Everyone is out of the cars at this point.

I speed down my staircase, passing my mom who's asleep on the couch in the living room. She couldn't care less about the Fisher's and Conklin's arrival. She never paid much mind to our neighbors unless they lived in Cousin's year round like us. Not to mention, ever since the infamous house party that was held at the Fisher home last summer, her disapproval of my friendship with them has gotten even worse.

As I'm walking towards the driveway, I feel flutters in my stomach. Even though they are my bestest of friends, and we keep in touch consistently throughout the winter months, seeing them all in person again always takes a bit of adjusting. The first afternoon always takes some breaking into, and by the time dinner rolls around, we're stuck together like glue until August.

It's Belly who spots me first. While Steven, Conrad, and Jeremiah are huddled together, Belly's eyes meet mine and the smile that's already spread across her face grows even bigger.

"Y/n!!!" She yells out as she runs towards me, and pulls me into a big hug. She smells like coconut sunscreen and Sol de Janeiro perfume; she must've applied it a few minutes ago in the car.

"I can't believe you're finally here," I mutter, as she squeezes me even tighter.

"Alright Belly c'mon, before you break Y/n's rib or something," Jeremiah says, which finally releases Belly off of me.

"I haven't seen Y/n in a whole year, okay? Facetime calls weren't cutting it any longer," Belly replies.

The moment she steps away, Jeremiah is standing right in front of me. He looks a little shy, and like he had just woken up from a nap. I notice a few red marks across his face.

"Did you fall asleep on in the car? You look like you have a newfound skin condition on your cheek," I say, trying to hold back my smile. I reach up and brush my thumb across the imprint left on his cheek, which makes him smile too.

"Shut up. I didn't get much sleep last night, I waited until the last minute to pack," he mumbles, and then brings me into a hug. Like every other summer, Jere grew another inch or two. I notice that my head rests on his chest now rather than his shoulder.

"Wow, I can put my chin on top of your head now, that's cool," he mutters to me, and I laugh. He smells like sunscreen as well, and I know it's because he planned to get onto the beach as soon as he got here. Jere gives the best hugs; being in his arms again is all I've been looking forward to this whole winter.