the morning after.

The sound of my phone ringing wakes me up abruptly.

It's Belly.

"Goooooood morning Y/n," she says, sounding bright and cheery.

"Isabel Conklin. It's 8 in the morning."

She laughs off my comment, and the fact that I still sound half asleep. "You know I always wake up early after being drunk. Anyways, I have a proposal for you. Come over here and wake up Jere and Steven with me. I want to go ride our bikes and get breakfast."

"Just Jere and Steven? What about Conrad?"

"I don't want to wake him up, he spent the whole night taking care of me. Don't ever let me get that drunk again. But are you down?"

I sigh, looking at the time once again. She sounds too excited for me to say no.

"Alright, let me get ready and then I'll head over."

She squeals loudly on the other end of the phone. "I knew you'd say yes! I'll see you soon, text me when you're here."

"You're lucky I love you. And that I'm hungry."

I hang up and stretch my arms out. When I check my texts, the only person who had messaged me after I fell asleep was Conrad, letting me know that he got Belly home safe. The sunlight from my windows seeps onto the end of my bed, and Parsnip soaks it in, his pink bean toes stretched towards me. Parsnip is my four-year-old cat who sleeps with me every night.

I crawl slowly out of bed, trying not to disturb Parsnip, and head towards my closet. I chose a cream-colored long sleeve top, since it's a bit chillier in the mornings by the beach, and a pair of grey waffle knit shorts. I slip on my New Balance sneakers, add a bit of mascara and blush, and then I text Belly to let her know that I'm coming.

When I walk outside, it's a bit cold as I expected. I see Belly watching for me through the window in the living room, and when she catches sight of me, she runs over to open up the front door.

"Hi," she says, with a smile forming across her face.

"Hi," I say back, and then I walk into the Fisher home, met with unusual stillness. Everyone must be asleep still.

We carefully tiptoe up the staircase that leads up to Belly and the boy's rooms. We head to Steven's first, which makes me start to feel anxious. I doubt he remembers what happened last night; he was completely wasted, so I'm hoping we can just forget it all happened.

Belly knocks as gently as possible on his door, twice, before hearing any movement.

"Stevennnnnnnn," Belly whispers. I hear him grumble something under his breath before opening up the door.

When he opens it, I can tell he's surprised to see me standing there.

"Oh," is all he manages to say. His face burns to a bright shade of red.

"Steven, come with us. We're taking the bikes and heading to the breakfast spot down the beach," Belly whispers again, trying to remain as quiet as possible. The expression on Steven's face softens. He looks over at me, and I smile at him, which I hope encourages him to come along.

"Jesus. Okay, fine. Let me just get dressed real quick," he says, slowly closing his door.

I look over at Belly and we exchange the same excited expression. One on board, one more to go.

I make my way down the hall to the right, where Jeremiah's room is. I'm the one who knocks this time, and it only takes once for him to open the door.