night swimming.

A knock on one of my windows wakes me.

I fell asleep a few hours after getting home from breakfast. I stayed inside the entire day, watching movies with my mom until I decided to go upstairs and take a nap.

I walk over to my window and lift up the latches, opening it to be met with Jeremiah standing on the other side.

"Did you just wake up?" He asks.

I nod, feeling weary from being asleep.

"Everyone is already over at the house. We're about to get in the pool, so I thought I'd come get you."

He grins at me, and then reaches his hand over and rests it on my cheek. I wince at the feeling of his hand on my skin; it's ice cold.

"You always feel so warm after you wake up. Put on your bathing suit and come with me."

"Okay," I say, and then I walk away from the window, a lingering cold feeling left on my face from where he placed his hand.

I smile to myself as I change into my bikini. It's one that I bought at the beginning of May, before the Fisher's and Conklin's arrived next door. Or before any of the summer kids arrived here, for that matter. It's one of the many perks of living in Cousin's year-round; I get to buy all of the new cutest bikinis from the boutiques in town before they sell out at the start of June.

I slip on my Birkenstocks and head out the door in my room, where Jeremiah is standing on my back porch waiting for me.

The sky is almost fully dark, and he's only lit up by the yellow porch light. I walk towards him, in nothing but my bikini. It's a crimson red shade, and I chose it with the intention of making my tan stand out more.

Jere raises his eyebrows when his eyes land on me.

"Is that one new? I don't remember you wearing it last summer."

I nod. He seems flustered in a way I've never seen before.

"I like the color. It's nice. Do you want to wear my shirt until we get over there?"

"Thanks," I say, pushing a few strands of my hair behind my ear, "but I'm okay. I think I'll just walk over in my bathing suit."

He smiles at my response. "Okay, let's go."

We walk side by side over to the Fisher's backyard, and I try to ignore the insecurity rising inside me. It doesn't matter if the bikini fits perfectly or hugs me in just the right places; I always find it difficult to wear one in front of everyone for the first swim of the summer. It takes a little bit of time to feel fully comfortable again.

When we've made it to the pool, Belly sees me and immediately comes up to squeeze me.

"Y/n, that bikini looks a little too good on you," she says, eyeing me up and down as a joke.

"Belly, speak for yourself. No one piece this summer?"

She shakes her head. "Nope, no one piece. I figured it was finally time to make the switch."

I start walking towards the pong table, Jeremiah following by my side, where Conrad is playing alongside Steven. On the other end playing against them is Leo, one of the other kids who has been coming up to Cousin's for a few years, and his girlfriend, Aria.

"Con," I call out. He looks at me and waves.

"Oh hey, Y/n," Steven says, a grin spreading across his face, "come play pong with us."

"Not right now. I'm going to go grab a drink."

Jeremiah and I walk towards the cooler sat in the grass. I open it up, and it's filled to the brim with a variety of drinks. I decide on a Caprisun.