the bonfire, part one.

"You know you don't have to hate Conrad still, right?"

She's wearing a tight pink dress, applying mascara as she stares into her vanity mirror. Belly Conklin has been one of my best friends for as long as I remember. I met Belly first out of everyone who lives next door.

It was the easiest friendship I've ever made. All it took was asking if she would help me build a sand castle when we were five. She said sure, she didn't want to try catching fish with the three boys she was with at the time anyways. We spent all afternoon together building a sand castle, and when we had to go our separate ways at dinner time, we agreed we'd meet up again the next day and do the same thing. This repeated the entire summer, until we ended up inseparable by the time August came around.

It's been about 11 summers since we met. I tell Belly everything, and she tells me everything, and that's just how our friendship works. She's my go-to person that I trust. But there's still some things that I keep to myself, some things I would never share with anyone.

Like about how jealous I was last summer when Belly and Conrad finally started dating. I had the opportunity to be with Cam, don't get me wrong, but I was jealous that she had a connection with Conrad for so long and finally got what she wanted. Having her first times, going on dates, coming back to the summer house during the winter to stay with him. I wanted it so badly, but I was too scared. I wanted it to be easy for me too, boys and dating.

Or when Steven Conklin kissed me. I never told Belly, or a single soul, that Steven and I kissed. I was around 12 years old, and curious about what it would be like to kiss someone. So we went under the boardwalk, where nobody could see us, and kissed for half a second. It was about as romantic as any twelve year-old kiss would be; a shallow peck, nothing more. When it was over, we sat under the boardwalk, hidden away for a little while longer. It was at that moment that I realized I have zero romantic feelings for Steven, and it was also at that moment that I realized he definitely had some for me. After we kissed, I noticed he was blushing as he grabbed my hand. We stayed down there for a few more minutes before we heard the Fisher boys and Belly calling out for us above.

I have some secrets, but overall, Belly knows me better than anyone. Jeremiah as a close second, but there's just some things that you like to keep within your girlhood together.

"Belly, he literally destroyed you over the winter. I'm not going to automatically forgive and forget. But if it means a lot to you, I'll work on it, okay?" I say, trying to compromise with her.

"Okay, deal. Also, that skirt looks really pretty on you, Y/n," she says, winking at me.

I thank her, even though I'm becoming self conscious of my outfit choice. It's not that I don't like wearing skirts, but I always feel a sense of discomfort wearing anything more on the revealing side.

"Are you girls done or what? This isn't a beauty contest, Belly. And Y/n, you might end up beating me on our bet with what you're wearing tonight. The guys there aren't going to leave you alone with how short that skirt is. Jesus." It's Steven peeking his head through the crack Belly left in her door.

I feel myself blush at his skirt comment.

"Don't listen to him, Y/n. You look hot. Seriously. And it's not a bad thing to get attention from guys that aren't Cam Cameron. We'll see what the night holds for us," she says, finishing up her makeup with a touch of lip gloss. I had already finished my hair and makeup in the time it took Belly to get dressed.

We walk down the stairs to find that the boys are already waiting by the pool for us.

"Mom, we'll be back by 11. Is that cool?" Belly asks.