first summer dinner.

By the time we're back, it's almost dinner time.

The first dinner of the summer is always special. We reminisce on past summers, but we also talk about the things we're going to do during the upcoming summer.

The boardwalk was fun, but I spent the entire time thinking about Jere, and how tired and sad he looked earlier. He missed out on the entire afternoon.

"Guys, I'm going to go check on Jere and wake him up for dinner. I'll be back," I say to the group, walking towards the back of my house that leads to my bedroom.

"Okay hurry up, Y/n! We still have to get ready together later for the party!" Belly calls out to me. I turn around and give her a thumbs up.

When I finally make it to the sliding door that leads to my bedroom, I open it as quiet as possible in case Jeremiah is still sleeping. But as soon as I open it, I see him laying on my bed, awake with his phone screen lit up.

"Hi," I whisper, making my way towards the bed.

He puts his phone down quickly, screen side down, and pulls the blanket over him up towards his chest. He's facing the wall so I can't see his face.

"Hi," he whispers back, but something sounds off about his voice.

"Jere look at me," I say, placing a hand on his back.

He turns towards me slowly, wiping his cheek.

"I'm sorry," he mutters, and then gives me a weak smile.

"For what? Oh god. Are you alright? I'm sorry I left you back here earlier, I should've stayed."

He shakes his head, tears falling slowly down his face.

"It's not that. It's stupid, okay. I was asleep for awhile and then I went on my phone. I was looking at old pictures, from when my mom was still healthy. And then I started thinking about how your face dropped when you saw her today. I don't know if you knew, but it was so obvious how you felt seeing her. I could see the hurt all over your face. And I know it really sucks to see her like this. I'm sorry," he says, still trying to hold everything back.

I shake my head. "Don't you dare apologize to me. Come here," I whisper back, pulling his head towards my chest.

I place a hand onto his back and run it in circles, letting him melt into me. The guilt of leaving him from earlier sets in, and I feel like crying as well. But I know if I started crying too, he'd feel even worse.

"I can't even begin to imagine how this feels for you. Don't worry about me whatsoever. I want to be there for you as much as I can during this, Jere. Will you let me do that?"

He nods his head, and his breathing begins to slow down.

"You're my best friend. You were there for me when my dad left us, when I broke my arm, when I lost my favorite stuffed animal, Mochi. I know you want to be strong and you've been taking care of her, but you don't have to pretend to be strong with me. I know you and I could tell just by the look on your face when you got out of the car today that you've been upset. Whenever you need comfort or help, I'm here."

I rub his back in circular motions for a few minutes more, the two of us laying together in silence. When we finally sit up, he dries his cheeks with the sleeve of his sweater.

I sit up with him, seeing his cheeks pink and eyelashes darkened from crying.

"First day of summer and I'm already doing this," he says, and then we laugh for a moment.

"Jere, your mom is sick. It doesn't matter if it's the first day of summer or the last. You're going to be sad. And you're allowed to rest and take it all in. But before we get killed, we should probably head over so we aren't late for dinner."