Contact

...

"You ever see anything like that?" the jaded captain asked his superior.

To the commander of the Survey Corps the answer had to be a resounding "No, I have not".

He had seen plenty of military outposts in his day, but the sight he was seeing through his spyglass was unlike anything he had seen.

The few tents near the strange structure were larger and much better-lit than any of their own personal ones.

The strange machines carved hills with the ease of a hundred workers with pickaxes, and instead of a large walled perimeter, the strange mobile cannons surrounded the camp, occasionally moving their turrets, as if scanning for the enemy, large and brilliant lights that shone more than any candle or torch probably made it easy for them to see, and then there was the issue of the large structure at the center of it all...

His attention was quickly drawn to the pair of vehicles that were making their way out of the secure perimeter, bright lights emitting from the front reflected the green grass.

The vehicles passed the odd machines and moved with a purpose... towards them?

"What should we do? Should we approach them?"

Commander Erwin wasn't sure how they did it, but these machines were not exactly something too insane compared to the other curiosities on the hill, really just horseless carriages. What he was unsure of was what these strange men wanted.

"We stand our ground here. If what you said is true, then they should have been able to kill us by now, and yet they haven't."

The vehicles stopped at the foot of the hill they were on. Erwin could see that there was at least one man on the top of the vehicle, holding on to what he was certain was a kind of gun... which kind he didn't know, but he had no intentions of provoking these strange men.

A door on the side suddenly opened, not unlike a carriage, and a human figure popped out of it.

"Hello, Can I know your name?." The man stated in an accent the commander did not recognize.

" I am Commander Erwin of Survey Corps."

"Commander Erwin, I am General Con, Sorcerous Empire army... that doesn't mean much to you right now, but... well, we have plenty to talk about back at our station, if you would like."

That was the one thing the Survey Corps commander was certain of.

"Um... General? I want to know who are you?"

"Well, we are a military force from the Sorcerous Empire that exists just beyond that structure over there," he stated pointing at the large gate.

"On the other side? You mean that Building over there takes you somewhere else?" the tired captain asked.

"Yes!..."

An excited noise came from behind them, but they all promptly ignored Hanji, she would get her answers soon enough.

Erwin stared.

Every single word that had come out of his mouth sounded insane, yet he was looking at the evidence right in front of him.

They followed the curious vehicles down the hill and towards the gathering of curiosities they had never dreamed of.

Hanji glanced at the larger vehicles with the turrets, quickly noticing a couple of men sitting on the top, drinking something.

But when they saw the Undeads they got scared. Which are working here as laborers.

....

Erwin, Levi, and Hanji stood inside the surprisingly cozy tent, facing General Con and his officers. They all surrounded a table with a map and several papers, some with pictures on them.