Chapter 9

By the time the helicopters touched down, the sun was already dipping below the horizon and there was a small crowd of Survey Corps. Members gathered near the landing sites, which were now somewhat more developed since the squadron took off the previous night.

Erwin wasn't used to the warm reception he found himself receiving when the flying beast opened its doors and let his units out into the secure area the Imperial had built.

"We saw it! We saw the sealed wall!" someone cried.

"This is the first victory for humanity in a hundred years! How does it feel commander?" another much younger scout asked loudly.

"Everybody calm down, the commander has earned himself a break." An older officer, Erwin wasn't sure who, said.

He wasn't surprised to find Mike walking over to congratulate him as well as lead him and the other scouts into what was very quickly becoming a small town. Ignoring the small tents the corps had set up, the Imperials had several matel structures all lined up. Its, seemed far sturdier than mere tents, another reminder of the technology these soldiers from another world brought with them.

"They build fast, and after you left, most of the titan attacks stopped." Mike stated.

"I think they followed us in the flying machines."

"Oh..."

"But there were no casualties, at least, no fatalities, and the wall is now sealed. Saying that I'm impressed would be an unbelievable understatement."

"I understand, their tools and weapons are beyond anything we have ever seen."

"Yeah, I guess when humanity is busy fighting itself, it can come up with some very efficient killing tools." Levi mumbled as the scouts were approached by the man that went by General Con.

"Congratulations, Commander, I hear your men performed splendidly." The man said, smiling politely.

"As did yours." Erwin said, shaking the general's hand.

"Well, go ahead inside. I would like to have a private word with you in the officer's chambers, but your subordinates can go into the mess hall, the Command center sent us plenty of dishes to celebrate the success of the mission."

Erwin nodded for the rest of the scouts to go ahead as he followed the General down a different path.

Levi watched the men walk away, a part of him wondering what they would discuss, but he already had a decent idea of what it could be. Upon turning to continue down the street he realized his entire squad was standing around, waiting for him not unlike loyal dogs.

"Well, what are you waiting around for? Let's go eat."

A large structure seemed to be the center of attention at that hour, with lots of noise coming from it.

It was oddly clean inside.

Then the smell hit them.

"What... is that?" Petra asked.

"I don't really recognize many of the smells, but go ahead, the food is great." Mike said.

The scene was oddly homey for a relatively bare structure.

Levi could tell the tables were cheap from a distance, seemingly made up of some kind of plastic, but the Imperials sitting in them were chatting away happily like nothing.

Not unlike his subordinates.

The Survey Corps didn't exactly get a very high budget, so a lot of their furniture was outdated or cheap, yet he rarely heard a complaint come from any scout about the accommodations.