FOUR

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, CORIOLANUS HEADED TO THE ZOO to check on Aria. She didn't seem too shaken up last night, but he still felt obliged to go and see her. If she was in bad shape, maybe he could offer some sort of comfort to her. On his way to the zoo, he discovered a crumpled packet of crackers that he had completely forgotten about. Although it wasn't much, he decided to give the crackers to Aria, since it was important she keep her strength up.

When he arrived, he was somewhat surprised that anyone was even allowed into the zoo; he was simply informed by the Peacekeepers not to get too close, as they weren't keen on allowing a repeat of last night again, not under their watch.

Coriolanus approached the cage, dodging a few rats on the way. Eugh. He caught sight of the sleeping tributes, shackled to the wall like they weren't even human. The only one awake was Aria, staring blankly at her knees which were pressed up tightly against her chest. Her hair was tangled and unkempt, eyes heavy with bags. She was a sight for sore eyes, causing Coriolanus to feel a little worried. Perhaps last night's events really did shake her, she had just put on a brave face and acted like they didn't.

"Psst... Aria!" he called out, watching as she turned her head towards him. She walked up to him, getting as close as she could, although there was still a few feet of distance between the two, due to the chains around her wrists.

"Coriolanus," she breathed out, throat scratchy, probably from the summer heat and the lack of water.

"How are you doing?" he asked with concern.

"Capitol rats have a taste for people."

"The rats are trying to eat you?"

"One of them gave Jessup over there a nasty bite," she motioned towards the male District 12 tribute, asleep with a piece of cloth pressed against his neck.

"Oh, Aria, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry about all of this."

"Don't be, it's not your fault."

"You must hate me. You should. I would hate me," he said.

"You didn't create The Hunger Games, did you?"

"No, but I'm participating in them. I'm allowing them to happen," he dropped his head in shame, "I should be more like Sejanus and at least try to quit."

"No!" she leapt up, despite her clear exhaustion. "Please, I can't do this without you," Aria said, gripping onto a large rock beside her to prevent her from collapsing.

Instinctively, he reached out to help her, but she was too far away. Instead, he reached into his pocket for the crumpled packet of crackers he had brought. He tossed them gently to her, watching carefully as she bent down to pick them up, making sure she didn't faint.

Aria ripped the packet open and stuffed the crackers into her mouth, chewing the dry things with difficulty.

"I'll bring you more to eat when I can," he said gently. "Also, it's been made official. When you're in the arena, we're allowed to send food to you."

"Oh, that's good. More food is good," she said hungrily.

"It works through donations. If people like you after your interview, they'll send money, which I can then use to send you gifts. Water, food, medicine - things like that," he explained

"I'll have to give a really good speech then," Aria said.

"I'm sure you will," Coriolanus reassured her.

"Hey, time's up!" A Peacekeeper yelled out.

Coriolanus rose to his feet. "I'd better go then, if I want them to let me in again."