TWENTY-THREE

"I JUST THINK WE SHOULD MAKE PEACE WITH EACH OTHER," Arlo said to Aria. The two weren't necessarily enemies, but they didn't get along well either.

"What do you mean?" Aria asked.

"We're allies, aren't we? And besides, I think that if anyone is worthy of winning these games, it's you, Aria," he explained.

"Hm, I agree," Aria replied. She was glad the two could be civil, possibly even friends within the short amount of time they had left.

The group were all on the outskirts of the arena, searching for any source of water they could drink from. It had been nearly 24 hours since they'd last had some water, and it was beginning to affect their physical performance and endurance, which they couldn't afford when they knew a tribute could attack at any time.

Just as they'd found some water, they barely got a mouthful in before the acrid smell of smoke stung the back of their throats. They turned their heads, and caught sight of flames dancing in the trees, spreading at an alarming speed.

"We have to move, now!" Aria yelled. Her and the rest of the group sprinted away from the fire, but they soon realised all the trees in the arena were catching fire. The only place they'd be safe from the flames was in the centre of the arena, as there were no trees, but that was also where the rest of the tributes would have to go to as well.

They had no choice, though, and so they made their way to the centre. It seemed as though they were the first ones there, but soon, more tributes began pouring in. It seemed as though there were only twelve tributes left alive, excluding Aria's group of allies. She spotted Coriolanus, Bug, Smiley and Sejanus, but no Junius.

Before any tributes could even make a move themselves, arrows began shooting from every corner of the arena. Aria heard Coriolanus yell, "Get down!" and although she didn't believe he was talking to her, she still lowered herself on the floor, covering her head with her arms and squeezing her eyes shut. There was no way she was going to die from the Capitols cowardly attempt to execute her. Not after she'd come this far.

When Aria could no longer hear the arrows shooting out, she lifted up her head to see the damage. A couple of tributes were laid on the floor, bleeding out, but no one that she knew. She hated to admit it, but she was incredibly relieved that Coriolanus was okay.

Aria didn't have much time to relax, though, as flocks of birds rained down from the sky. Some of them were already dead, dropping like bricks onto the ground, but there were also live ones, intent on pecking your eyes out. Again, Aria was on the ground, covering her face. She spent at least fifteen minutes like that, before she had a strange feeling. Liquid was dripping down her back, and she hesitantly lifted her head up to see what was going on.

Aria was met with the grim sight of Coriolanus, hands gripping a bloodied arrow. In front of him, just behind Aria's feet, was Arlo, laid on the ground with lifeless eyes. Further away, she could see Missy, crumpled up with blood streaming down her neck.

Without warning, all of the birds dropped to the ground, dead. Aria looked at Coriolanus, nothing but horror in her eyes.

"What did you do..?" she asked, but was met with no response. "How could you do that? Why- why would you do that?"

"You were in trouble, and I was protecting you. I will always protect you," Coriolanus replied.

"Protecting me? He was my ally, Coriolanus, and you killed him! And Missy, too," she gestured over to Missy's body.

"What? No, I didn't kill her. That was your ally's doing," Coriolanus said.

"Arlo? No, he loved her. He'd never kill her," Aria said in confusion.