SIX

AS HER MENTOR,
CORIOLANUS WAS UP ON STAGE WITH ARIA, but he simply introduced himself and then stepped back into the shadows, confident enough to allow Aria to do all the talking. He knew the people loved her, although she seemed gloomy and intimidating, with her cultish, ballet dancer frame and her sulky, despondent (though beautiful) expression, her personality always shone through. She was charming and intelligent, everyone could recognise it when she spoke.

"Good evening, everyone," she smiled brightly, receiving plenty of cheers, allowing a big grin to break out on her face, "Wow, thank you," she said still smiling. She glanced over to Coriolanus, who gave her a reassuring nod.

"Well, the crowd has certainly taken a liking to you already!" Lucky Flickerman exclaimed. "How do you feel about that?"

"Oh, It's wonderful," she breathed out. "No one's ever cheered for me like that. Back home, no one really talks to me. No one except.." she trailed off for dramatic effect, "no one except my best friend."

"Ah, the girl you volunteered for, at the reaping. Well, that was a tear-jerking moment for all of us to watch. Could you tell us a little bit more about her?"

"Lucy Gray and I are so different, its honestly a miracle that we're even friends. No one dared approach me in District 12, no one but her. When we were younger, she spotted me all by myself looking gloomy, but I think that's just my natural face," she joked, earning laughs from the crowd, "she went on to sing me a song to cheer me up, and since then, we've been inseperable. I knew that a life without Lucy Gray would be a life not worth living, so I just had to protect her. She's like sunshine, that girl, and the people in District 12 certainly need a little sunshine." A few sniffles came from the crowd before Lucky Flickerman spoke up.

"Wow, how emotional. You say that no one wanted to speak to you back home, so does that mean no boyfriends?" he asked, earning a laugh from Aria.

"No, Mr. Flickerman, no boyfriends."

"I find that hard to believe. You're a pretty young lady, aren't you? And I must say, you look absolutely stunning tonight!" he exclaimed, and he was right. Her hair was pulled up into a bun, really giving you a good view of her gorgeous face, which was enhanced with just a touch of makeup that Tigris had scavenged for. Her dress, too, looked much better now, as it had been washed and repaired.

"Why thank you," she giggled. "There was a boy back home that I had a crush on for the longest time, but he was too embarrassed to be seen with me," a flicker of pain went through her face for a brief moment.

"Well, that's his loss. I'm sure there's plenty of people here in the Capitol who'd love to be seen with you," Lucky said, earning a response of whistles and cheers. "You're unique, Aria Thorne, and although that may be something frowned upon in the Districts, it's something we embrace here in the Capitol. but unfortunately, our time here is up. Aria, I don't love your odds, but may they be in your favour."

Aria waved her goodbyes to the crowd, following Coriolanus off stage.

"How did I do?" she asked.

Coriolanus wasn't sure how to respond. Listening to her words filled him with jealousy, hearing her talk about her "crush" gave him a sense of embarrassment. Was it just him who thought there was something between the two of them? Apparently she was still hung up on some worthless coal miner with no future back in District 12. Compared to Coriolanus, that boy was nothing. Coriolanus might not have been the richest guy in the Capitol, but even he could give her far more than that boy ever could.

"You were great," he smiled, not wanting to show how jealous he really was, but his curiosity got the better of him. "So, what was all that about, a boy in District 12?" he tried to ask casually, but failed.