TWELVE

Dear Coriolanus,
Oh, I miss you. I do. I never thought that I'd win The Games and yet still not be able to see you. Life in the Capitol is so overwhelming, all these interviews are so exhausting. I'm sorry I didn't write sooner, they don't want me talking to you — I have to send this letter in secret. I managed to get your mothers compact back, I'll hold onto it for now until I can see you again, but don't worry, I'll get it back to you. I can't describe how much I miss you, it pains me just to think about you living away from your family, away from everything you've ever known. I'm so sorry. I can't tell you my address, it's too risky, but you can send a letter back through my stylist, Edith. She's sort of become a friend to me over the past few days, and she's agreed to help me exchange letters to you in secret. I hope you're doing okay, I'm going to send you some good food, and I'll come see you soon, I promise.
Love, Aria.

Dear Coriolanus,
It's been 2 weeks, and you haven't sent anything back to me. I guess letters from the Districts take a while to get here, huh? Edith is still keeping an eye out in the mail for your name. There's some seriously weird people here in the Capitol. They're calling themselves my 'fans', and one of them even found my apartment; I've had to move somewhere else. It's a little scary. If you were here, I know I'd feel better. You've saved my life countless times, if you were here, I'd feel invincible. I miss you.
Love, Aria.

Dear Coriolanus,
It's almost November now. It's been 3 months since we last spoke and I can't bear the thought that I might never talk to you again. If you're reading this, please send something back. Maybe you've found a new sweetheart, and moved on. If that's the case, please, tell me so I can stop worrying about you. Are you being intentionally cruel? I don't believe you're that kind of person. If you still care for me at all, send something back. I'm not sure about you, but I still have faith in us.
Love, Aria.

Aria was beginning to lose hope. All she wanted was a letter to know he was doing alright. Even if it was a letter saying he had a new girlfriend, at least she'd know he was happy. Sure, she'd feel like an idiot for falling in love with him, but she'd have a little closure.

In District 12, Coriolanus was feeling the exact same way.

"Sejanus, do you think she's doing alright?" Coriolanus asked, concerned when he saw Aria come up on the television, looking pale and tired.

"She's probably just a little stressed, don't worry."

"Why hasn't she written?" he replied impatiently.

"I bet she's busy. Life as a Victor can't be easy."

"But surely she's had some spare time in the last couple months?"

Sejanus shrugged, turning his head back to the television. Aria was being interviewed by a woman in an extravagant wig and bold makeup.

"Aria, have you spoken to your friend, Lucy Gray, back in District 12 yet?"

"Oh, I have. I wrote to her, and she's doing well. If anyone's in District 12 this weekend, you should go and see her sing in The Hob!"

Coriolanus was hurt. So, Aria could write to her friend, but not him? He slumped into his chair, feeling sorry for himself until he came up with an idea. What if he found Lucy Gray and asked her about Aria? Since he didn't know Aria's address, maybe Lucy Gray could give it to him, or pass on a message for him.

"You guys want to go to The Hob tomorrow?" Coriolanus asked his four friends.

"When do we not?" Smiley responded. Coriolanus had seen Lucy Gray at the hob already, but he was a little apprehensive to speak to her, as he wasn't 100% sure it was really her, but he knew for certain now that she would be there.