2 | Game of Deception

Bangalore, IndiaSeptember

Bangalore, India
September

Samaira's POV

Parking my car in the Archaeological Survey India (ASI) lot, I made my way inside, bag slung over my shoulder. As I passed by the receptionist, I exchanged a smile with the friendly old lady - the lone beacon of warmth in the sea of bureaucracy. "Good morning," she greeted me, and I responded in kind before continuing my journey through the labyrinth of desks.

Reaching my designated workspace, I barely had time to settle down when the superintendent archaeologist marched by the cabin. His abrupt call for me to follow him immediately triggered a suppressed eye-roll, but I complied without showing any outward signs of irritation.

His office was predictably adorned with artifacts, maps, and a perpetual air of self-importance. I took a seat as he settled behind his desk.

"Samaira, we've been considering a unique opportunity for you," the superintendent said, peering over his glasses.

I arched an eyebrow, my curiosity piqued but guarded. "What opportunity?"

"We've been approached by a local college. They want someone to share insights on forensic archaeology as a guest lecturer."

I frowned, not liking the direction this conversation was taking. "Guest lecturer? I'm a field archaeologist. To be specific a Forensic Archaeologist. I don't have the time for academic endeavors."

The superintendent leaned back, steepling his fingers. "Samaira, the reality is, there are no ongoing excavations at the moment where your expertise is immediately required. This could be a chance to diversify your experiences and contribute to academia."

I sighed, pushing back against the proposal. "Just because there are no ongoing excavations where my presence is needed doesn't mean I should be relegated to a classroom. I'm a hands-on forensic archaeologist."

He cut straight to the point, his tone sharper now. "You were transferred here from Chennai, and I can't deny that your records are impressive. You are brilliant no doubt in that. But Currently, other Archaeologists are in field excavations working on artifacts and structures which must be preserved and studied. And there aren't any human remains found there. So you got to take up this."

I narrowed my eyes, thinking that maybe they believed I was too brilliant to be around those who had made the same records as mine took many years than I did and their job may be in danger because of me just because I applied for the deputy superintendent Archaeologist post.

I swear to god if that is the reason they are going to face serious problems.

"Are you trying to get rid of me just because I transferred from another branch, and my records surpass those of people who have been here longer?" I asked trying my best not to lose my cool.

The superintendent's veneer of professionalism wavered, replaced by a flash of annoyance. "That's not the case. I know your brilliance, and I truly appreciate it at such a young age. But-"