3 | Identity Crisis

Bangalore, IndiaSeptember

Bangalore, India
September

Samaira's POV

"You go back home. I and Nithya will stay back. You already look tired," my brother graciously offered once we stepped out of the room.

"Awww, how sweet of you, Anna (Elder brother)," I cooed, attempting to pinch his cheeks.

He swatted my hand away, looking at me in distaste.

Clearing my throat, I spoke, "I am going to stay back, and you guys are going back home. So rest up and come early morning, so that I can go home, get ready, and head to my office."

"No. You are already tired. I can see it on your face. You go home; we both will stay back," Nithya argued.

"Nithya, I can stay. Now you both head back," I said, putting an end to further discussion.

Adi looked at me, and I stared back at him, while Nithya sighed, murmuring to herself about how stubborn we siblings were.

"Do you have your Kindle or any books with you?" Adithya asked, looking at his watch as if contemplating something else.

I have insomnia, a condition that's been with me since Amaira disappeared. Before that, I used to sleep like dead. Adithya managed to stabilize himself in a few months, unlike me. I just couldn't sleep after that night. After several consultations with doctors, I was diagnosed with Acute Insomnia caused by the sudden disappearance of my sister. It has stuck with me until now, making it a chronic condition. So, I have to engage myself in activities like reading books, maintaining a stable day-to-day routine (though it gets messed up sometimes due to my travels), herbal teas, medications, and my favourite part of kickboxing. My doctor suggested I choose a routine of exercise and I ended up with Kicking boxing. Typical me.

I gave him a small smile at his thoughtful gesture and said, "It's in my car. I'll get it later after I get myself some dinner," glancing at my watch, which showed close to 8.

Adi suggested, "Then let's do one thing. Give me your car key; I will get your stuff, and Nithya, you get her some dinner." Nithya nodded, ready to head towards the food court.

I quickly stopped her, saying, "I can get my dinner or also my stuff. You guys go home." It seemed like a reasonable idea to me.

However, Adi gave me a long stare and declared, "Shut up and sit here. We will get it," shoving me into the chair. I responded with an eye roll, thinking about how typical it was for him to act like my big brother.

As Adi and Nithya walked away, I sat in the hospital chair, contemplating the day's events. The sterile hospital environment and the faint hum of medical equipment provided an odd contrast to the chaos that unfolded in my life. I reached for my phone, scrolling through messages and trying to distract myself.

"Here's your survival kit," Adi declared, handing me the Kindle with a triumphant smile. I rolled my eyes, amused at his choice of words. "I also grabbed your hoodie which was lying in the backseat. Hospitals are always freezing."