FOUR. some things never change

     RIVER SMILED as she placed the final card on Cole's locker

     RIVER SMILED as she placed the final card on Cole's locker. One with  his named written on it with his name written in calligraphy thanks to her mother.

With the rest of her siblings help, they gathered letters and numbers to decorate Cole's locker like the others apart of the football team.

River adjusted her cheer bow as she placed the final sticker onto Cole's locker with a smile.

She nodded to herself and began her journey to her own locker, but saw Cole from the corner of her eye and stopped in her tracks.

She watched as he looked over at his locker, no emotion on his face as he quickly opened it and shut it just as fast.

River sighed and returned to his locker, her crossed her arms over her chest as he looked down at her.

"River."

"You hate this?" She asked, pointing to his locker.

He only looked over at his locker for a moment before looking back at her and shaking his head.

"No." He answered.

River scoffed. "Let's just take it down, yeah? It's clear that this wasn't the best idea looking back at it."

She began reaching towards the decorations but Cole quickly grabbed her hand and smiled.

"I don't hate it," Cole said, suddenly serious. "It's just... it's a lot. You know, not being on the team anymore, it's just... different."

River nodded. "I'm sorry, I should've, um, been more considerate. I just didn't want you to feel left out and the girls on the cheer team were gonna just stick some paper on there and I thought that was stupid and-"

"River, it's okay," Cole interrupted gently, a small smile playing on his lips. "I appreciate the effort."

"Anything for Cole Walter." River smiled and slipped her hand from his grasp and gently nudged him. "Are you coming to the game?"

Cole sighed. "As much as I'd like to see you cheer... I'm staying home."

River titled her head. "Seriously? At least come to the Homecoming Huddle."