Chapter ten

The water was warm, while outside of the pool it was raining quite a lot, marking the beginning of winter break and of the coldest season of the year. Abby's breath was short and heavier than usual, but her body felt good. It wasn't supposed to be a hardcore session anyway, so she swam slower than she was used to, focusing more on her movements in what would have been her last time at the pool before a quick break during winter.

After about ten slow laps, Abby stopped to catch her breath at the edge of the pool, staring at the hands of the clock moving in front of her, when a cough caught her attention.

"Ms. Bennett? How long have you been here?" asked the swimmer, surprised to see the teacher at the pool. "Aren't you supposed to be on winter break right now?"

"A bit, and no. I don't ever stop working. You're very good," she answered, showing off a very big and friendly smile.

"Stalker."

"You weren't supposed to see me," the teacher rolled her eyes, bending down to get closer to the student.

"It's getting cold... give me ten more minutes and I'll be right out, okay?"

Ms. Bennett nodded, and sat back down on the plastic chairs, without once taking her eyes off Abigail during her last ten minutes of training. It was like a need, she needed to know that she was okay all the time, even when she wasn't with her, because she would have done the same for her. Between them had bloomed a very unusual friendship, but one of the rarest and truest they had both had in their lives.

Like she had said, Abigail got out of the water after some more minutes, and Ms. Bennett helped her wrap herself into a towel.

"Thanks," nodded the girl, sitting down next to the woman.

Silence fell between them, but it wasn't uncomfortable at all. They had got used to it during the many afternoons they had spent together, when Abigail was studying in silence and Ms. Bennett read a book, waiting to check the exercises she had given her.

"Can I ask you a question?" asked Abigail, suddenly, turning her face towards the woman. "How old are you?"

"Thirty-nine. Why?"

"You wear them well."

"Aw, Abby, are you warming up to me? Should I be on top of you?"

"Ha-ha," she rolled her eyes. "I mean, if you really want to..."

They both chuckled, but they were deep down thinking about the other's body, and how beautiful it must have been; they would gaze at each other from time to time, hoping to not get caught, while their mind wandered away to a universe where everything they were feeling was okay, not wrong.

"Thank you for not completely giving up on me," smiled Abby.

"Thank you for listening to me when I needed it the most."

Slowly, their hands moved closer to each other, finding comfort in the other's warmth. The two didn't dare to look at each other, but a small smile appeared on both of their faces, as a bubble formed around them, wrapping them up and pushing them to get closer to each other.

As Abigail was about to place her head on Ms. Bennett's shoulder, a soft voice erupted from the front door of the pool, capturing her attention.

"Abby?"

Glancing at the door of the pool, Abigail gulped when she saw Alex on the doorstep, hands on her hips and a more than upset expression on her face.

"I'm sorry, I've got to go," she barely whispered, leaving Ms. Bennett.