Epilogue

Abigail's car was packed with stuff, but unfortunately her old bike wasn't among the things she had chosen to bring with her. She would have loved to take it to the West Coast, but there was no space leftover from the clothes she had brought with her. As a gift for her high school graduation her parents had agreed to let her go on a solo trip across the USA, from New Jersey all the way to Los Angeles, where she would have settled in campus before the start of her first semester at UCLA.

She had finally got her license, under Ms. Bennett's encouragement, and was more than happy to finally be able to own a car. One thing she wasn't really happy about, though, was leaving her friends back home: Charlie was gonna study at NYU, while of course Ms. Bennett would have kept teaching in the same old school, trying to transmit her passion for math to some new lucky students.

"Are you ready, honey?" Gloria stroked her daughter's hair.

"Yes."

"Stephen and I are gonna come visit you before the semester begins, okay?"

"Fine," she sighed, trying to hide a small smile.

They hugged tightly, and before she got into the small car, she extended her hand to Stephen for him to shake.

"Do great things, kid," he smiled genuinely.

"Will do," she saluted him.

She had already said her goodbyes to Charlie, who had gone to New York to settle in at her new college, but she needed to go see Ms. Bennett's before hitting the road and leaving her town for good.

She quietly drove to her house, trying to not think about the years ahead that she would have had to live without her, but when she braked in the middle of the street, all the best memories she had with Ms. Bennett flooded her brain.

"Hey," nodded Ms. Bennett, approaching her.

"Hi. I'm leaving right now, but I just knew that I was forgetting something," she smiled, opening her arms for Ms. Bennett to snuggle in. "And, I brought you a gift. Just something to remember me by."

"Who are you and what have you made of my old angry Abby?" she chuckled, embracing the girl before taking from her arms a tiny, very light box.

"People change, I guess... better late than never."

The silence was intense, making both of them feel a shiver down their spines and the urge to never let go of each other's warmth. Saddened and scared by the thought of being alone, they wanted to feel safe one last time, before letting go of each other.

"You should get going," sniffled Ms. Bennett, hiding her tears. "Don't want you getting stuck in traffic."

"With you dressed like that, this has been harder than I thought," chuckled Abigail, staring at the flowery dress Ms. Bennett was wearing. "You look incredible."

"I know that you're trying to convince me to follow you, but I can't hide in a college room forever," laughed Ms. Bennett, trying hard to lighten up the mood and not let her true feelings show.

Abigail got back in the car, but had to wait a few moments before driving away. She rolled down her window and tearfully looked at the woman she didn't want to leave, then weakly smiled.

"I'll see you in about four to five years, okay?"

"I'll still be here."

The tiny flowery box was staring at her much intensely, so much that she felt it calling her. Uncertain, Melissa got up from the couch and carefully opened it with her right hand, slowly placing the lid on the counter. Inside there were some letters, thoughts that Abigail had written during the year they had known each other, genuine enough to make Melissa tear up and finally let her feelings slip out.

She gently grabbed the first one, making sure to not rip it, and started reading it, as her heart began filling with much joy and excitement, making her wish that time could fast forward just to see her face once again.

Every time I see you I feel like my heart is on fire and my breath is frozen.

-Abby

She then grabbed the second one, and the emotions multiplied, overwhelming her and forcing her into a melancholic cry.

I dreamt of you last night. You were smiling at me from afar, leaving me with my cheeks burning up and thoughtless, with a blank void in my mind. I felt the warmth of your touch against my skin, and I became addicted to it. I can't stay away from you, or else my heart is going to implode. But if you stay close to me, I feel like everything will be okay.

-Abby

Again, she grabbed the third piece of paper, unsure if she should read it or not. Her hands were trembling and her sight was blurry, but she would have done anything to feel Abigail still close to her.

You looked beautiful as ever. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't look you into your blinding eyes, that are so unique and rare and special that make my heart skip not just one but a few beats.

I can't imagine my existence without you in it. You've been more than a teacher, or a friend, or a possible lover: you've been my mentor through every ups and downs I've encountered, and never left my side.

You're special, Mel. I hope one day you'll realize this yourself, because no one in this universe could compare to you.

I'll be forever yours,

-Abby