Deep In The Heart Of A Texas Ranch

We made camp in a corridor made of huge marble blocks

We made camp in a corridor made of huge marble blocks. Annabeth told us the game plan for the night: rest and continue to try and locate the workshop in the morning. Grover was the first to go to sleep. His snores softly echoing in the corridor.  Percy had a quick chat with his brother before checking up on Annabeth. I sat a little further from the group, feeling awkward.

This group have gone on a few quests together. This was my first quest ever. The way the four of them worked together was interesting. They already knew how each other thought. It made things easier. They worked well together. I'm new to the group and I'm still trying to learn how they work.

"You doing, okay?" Percy sat beside me, pulling me away from my thoughts. I blinked and turned to face him. He studied me carefully. "This is your first quest, right? How do you feel?"

"Weird." I furrowed my brows. "Not sure how to feel about it yet."

"Why?"

"I feel like I'm just...here. You know? I feel like I haven't really contributed much to the quest yet." I helplessly shrugged.

"Hey, don't say that. It's barely the first day. And you've helped." Percy reassured me. I gave him a doubtful expression. "Promise."

"If you say so." I uttered, bringing my knees closer to my chest.

"Why don't you get some rest? I'm taking first watch." Percy bumped his shoulder against mine.

"I feel like I couldn't even if I tried. The nerves are eating at my stomach." I gave him a tired smile. "You can sleep if you want? I'll take first watch."

"How about we take first watch together? Then whoever gets sleepy first goes to sleep." Percy shrugged. I gave a soft nod. "Okay, favorite candy?"

"What?" I stifled a chuckle.

"What's your favorite candy." Percy repeated.

"Sour gummy worms. You?"

"Anything blue."

"Blue? That's not a flavor, that's a color. What's your favorite candy? Gummies, chocolate..." I trailed off seeing if he got the point.

"I guess jellybeans. My mom would always get the blue ones for me when she used to work at a candy shop." Percy explained. "Why the sour gummy worms?"

"It's one of the only good things I remember from my childhood." I rested my cheek against my knee. Percy leaned back on his hands and waited for me to continue. "Growing up, my mom owned a vineyard that her parents started when they first came the the United Stares from Italy. Whenever there was be a good sale day, she would buy the sour gummy worms and we would share them while watching movies."

"You're a year round camper, right?" Percy hesitantly asked. I gave a nod. "Do you not have a good relationship with your mother?"

"Once I turned ten and the monsters started to come for me, she drove me all the way to camp from California. Helped me to the hill and left. Haven't heard from her since." I frowned, picking at my nails. "She was upset that she started to lose customers due to the monster attacks at the vineyard. She was a strict business owner and loved the vineyard and winery we had...I guess more than me."