Mission Mount St. Helen

We were on our merry way, well as merry as one can be chasing a robot spider, through the tunnels

We were on our merry way, well as merry as one can be chasing a robot spider, through the tunnels. The spider raced along and we were keeping up, until we spotted a tunnel off to the side that dug raw earth, and wrapped in thick roots. Grover stopped dead in his tracks.

"What is it?" Percy said.

Grover didn't move. He stared open mouthed into the dark tunnelS his curly hair rustled in the breeze.

"Come on!" Annabeth called out. "We have to keep moving."

"This is the way." Grover muttered in awe. "This is it."

"What way?" Percy asked. "You mean...to Pan?"

"Don't you smell it?" Grover looked at Tyson.

"Dirt. And plants." Tyson said.

"Yes! This is the way. I'm sure of it!"

"We'll come back." Annabeth promised. "On our way back to Hephaestus."

"The tunnel will be gone by then." Grover said. "I have to follow it. A door like this won't stay open!"

"But we can't. The forges!" Annabeth said.

"I have to, Annabeth." Grover looked at her sadly. "Don't you understand?"

She looked desperate, like she didn't understand at all. The spider was almost out of sight.

"What do we do then?" I questioned, straining my vision to keep the spider in my eyesight.

"We'll split up." Percy suggested.

"No!" Annabeth said. "That's way too dangerous. How will we ever find each other again? And Grover can't go alone."

"I-I will go with him." Tyson put his hand on Grover's shoulder.

"Tyson, are you sure?" Percy asked in shock.

"Goat boy needs help." Tyson nodded. "We will find the god person. I am Not like Hephaestus. I trust friends."

"Percy," Grover took a deep breath, "we'll find each other again. We've still got the empathy link. I just...have to."

"Guys, I hate to intrude, but we have to wrap this up." I warned and pointed to the spider almost out of our eyesight. "The spider."

"I hope you're right." Percy said, giving me a nod in acknowledgment.

"I know I am." Grover said confidently.