Drowning In Bitter Water

I tightened my grip on my sword as I stood between Percy and Piper

I tightened my grip on my sword as I stood between Percy and Piper. My eyes glanced around the room for any exits or ways to help us get out of here. Piper turned around to check the way we entered. She spun back around with a bitter look. I glanced over my shoulder to see the way we entered was gone.

"Who are you?" Percy demanded.

"Ah...names." The central nymph turned her head. "We once had names. I was Hagno, the first of the nine!"

I bite back a comment about her acting and looking like a hag. That would only upset the nymph more. Piper must've been thinking the same thing because the both of us look at each other and had to stifle a laugh. Luckily Jason distracted the nymphs from throttling us.

"The nine." Jason repeated. "The nymphs of this shrine. There were always nine niches."

"Of course." Hagno bared her teeth in a vicious smile. "But we are the original nine, Jason Grace, the ones who attended the birth of your father."

"You mean Jupiter?" Jason's sword dipped. "You were there when he was born?"

"Zeus, we called him then." Hagno said. "Such a squealing whelp. We attended to Rhea in her labor. When the baby arrived, we hid him so that his father, Kronos, would not eat him. Ah, he had lungs, that baby! It was all we could do drown out the noise so Kronos could not find him. When Zeus grew up, we were promised eternal honors. But that was in the old country, in Greece."

The other nymphs wailed and clawed at their niches. They seemed to be trapped inside of them. It was as if their freedom was glued to the stone along with the decorative seashells. I felt pity for them. I couldn't imagine be taunted by the sound of water that was my life source to never come up the fountain.

"When Rome rose to power, we were invited here." Hagno said. "A son of Jupiter tempted us with favors.  A new home, he promised. Bigger and better! No down payment, an excellent neighborhood. Rome will last forever."

"Forever." The others hissed.

"We gave in to temptation." Hagno said. "We left our simple wells and springs on Mount Lycaeus and moved here. For centuries, our lives were wonderful! Parties, sacrifices in our honor, new dresses and jewelry every week. All the demigods of Rome flirted with us and honored us."

The nymphs wailed and sighed.

"But Rome did not last." Hagno snarled. "The aqueducts were diverted. We were forgotten, buried under the earth, but we could not leave. Our life sources were bound to this place. Our old master never saw fit to release us. For centuries, we have withered here in the darkness, thirsty...so thirsty."

The others clawed at the throats. I could even feel mine feeling like it was closing up. I thickly swallowed.

"I'm sorry for you." Piper used her charmspeak. "That must have been terrible. But we are not your enemies. If we can help you-"