Percy Fights His Brother

The metal door was half hidden behind a laundry bin full of dirty hotel towels

The metal door was half hidden behind a laundry bin full of dirty hotel towels. There was rust along the door. There was a faint blue symbol etched in the metal. Greek Delta

"It hasn't been used in a long time." Annabeth said.

"I tried to open it once," Rachel admitted, "just out of curiosity. It's rusted shut."

"No." Annabeth stepped forward. "It just needs the touch of a half-blood."

As soon as Annabeth put her hand on the mark, it glowed blue. The mental door unsealed and creaked open, revealing a dark staircase leading down.

"Wow." Rachel said in a calm manner. "So...after you?"

"You're the guide," Annabeth said with mock politeness. "Lead on."

The stairs led down to a large brick tunnel. It was dark and we couldn't see in front of us until Annabeth and Percy turned on their flashlights. As soon as they turned them on, Rachel let out a yelp. A huge skeleton was grinning at us. It was strung up, chained by its wrists and ankles so it made a kind of giant X over the tunnel. It only had a single eye socket in the center of its skull.

"A cyclops." Annabeth said. "It's very old. It's not...anybody we know."

"They're fine." I reassured Percy, my hand instinctively grasping his and giving it a squeeze.

"You have a friend who's a cyclops?" Rachel swallowed.

"Tyson." Percy told her. "My half brother."

"Your half brother?"

"One of our parents are Greek gods, what did you expect?" I quirked a brow at her. "My stepmother was the one to guide Theseus through these tunnels."

"Right."

"Hopefully we'll find him down here." Percy stayed on topic of his brother. "And Grover. He's a satyr."

"Oh." Her voice was small. "Well then, we'd better keep moving."

She stepped under the skeletons left arm and kept walking. Annabeth, Percy, and I exchanged looks. Annabeth shrugged. We followed Rachel deeper into the maze.

After fifty feet we came to a crossroads. Ahead, the brick tunnel continued. To the right, the walls were made of ancient marble slabs. To the left, the tunnel was dirt and tree.

"That looks like the tunnel Tyson and Grover took." Percy pointed to the left.

"Yeah, but the architecture to the right-those old stones- that's more likely to lead to an ancient part of the maze, toward Daedalus's workshop." Annabeth frowned.

"We need to go straight." Rachel said.

We looked at her. I studied the middle tunnel. Nothing appeared to call out that it was to Daedalus's workshop. It seemed bland compared to the other two tunnels.