Chapter Six

Has the Night Cleaver returned? The terror that caused devastation to this city, to the women, to the families. To me. This nightmare my people are under grows like a thick fog. It's unrelenting and heinous. It's as if the underworld has split open right under our feet, tossing out its servants. 

And as I leave home fitted in my sheriff's best dress garb, a blue coat with a badge on the chest, I debate whether the public should be aware of the vile demon. If they're told, the hysteria the news will cause will be tremendous. The residents may just give up and destroy the last vestige of the kingdom. A riot in the Dumps would pale in comparison. 

For now I've only told my men and the other lawmen throughout the city. Should I tell the palace too? Is it my duty? But what can they do? Set a stricter curfew? But the curfew now is already hard to enforce. 

I take the carriage to the inner city, where lords and lordesses, army officials in their regal uniforms and the city's well-to-do meander through the streets towards the palace. 

Entering the main thoroughfare, a wide street lined with statutes of royalty past and present emanating power that they no longer have, the royal residence shoots up at the far end, its many turrets, all taller than the catapult tower, draped with banners for the celebration. 

The palace gates sparkle in the dying sunlight, like a gem encrusted crown. And from there, a winding gravel road leads me through the royal grounds to a crowded courtyard. I look for Seamil and Lorma but I don't see them. The lieutenant of the king's guards stands by the main entrance welcoming people inside, announcing names to nobody in particular. Such pomp is too much for me. It grinds my insides, tickling my leg until the bastard appendage spasms and cramps. 

Like times before, and once May and my carriage have been taken care of, I take a pathway round the side of the palace and to a narrow servant's door, where four soldiers stand sentry. They allow me through, where I soon find myself face to face with someone I have no desire to see. 

'Saw me coming?' I ask. 

'More like smelled that donkey of yours,' Sir Blouf replies. 

I'd so love to punch this man. It would bring me a sliver of light in all this darkness. 

Sir Blouf continues, 'The king would like to see you in his quarters. And right this instant.' 

I nod. 

Sir Blouf spins around, his long cape whipping like the wings of a dragon, and slithers off. 

With a snarl, I follow the snake. 

The servants' area is small and cramped, the sound of cooks preparing for tonight's dinner in the kitchens prodding my ears. But through a curtain, we enter the pristine royal area. It's as busy as the courtyard with everyone heading to the Queen's Lounge to mingle and drink before the celebrations in the grand dining hall. 

I still don't see Seamil and Lorma. They better not have skipped out. I would not forgive them. I know they have urges but to not even come would just be beyond selfish. 

We turn, cross the blue-tiled entrance hall and climb the well-polished grand staircase. 

I breathe a sigh of relief when Sir Blouf leads me into the king's lift, a contraption that moves up and down through the walls of the castle. Inside, and while we head up to the king's quarters, we wait in silence. But as soon as we reach the top floor of the highest turret and exit, Sir Blouf speaks. 

'You better have some good news for the king regarding the theft,' he says. 'His Majesty is getting impatient.' 

'May I ask you a question before we head in?' I ask.