Chapter Eight

'Please let me take you,' I say, looking at Fey as she gets ready to go to Lorma's house. 

She's wearing my favorite dress and has her hair up in a bun. The way I like it. 

'You say this every time,' she replies, turning and giving me the most beautiful smile in all the lands, kingdoms and heavens. 'I'll be fine. I'm a big girl.' 

'I know. I just don't want anything to happen to you.' 

'It hasn't before.' 

I limp over to her and place a kiss on her ruby lips. 'I know I'm a little overprotective but that's who I am. Who I've grown to be. At least let me come get you.' 

Fey rubs a speck of surrendering rouge from my mouth and replies, 'How about this? We meet at the entrance to the inner city and you can walk me back home. Like always–' 

******************************* 

A noise jolts me awake. 

Is it another attack? 

But I hear no peels from the city's bells. 

It's probably the blacksmith. Or my elixirman checking up on me. 

I then sit up in my bed and furrow my brows. 

I don't remember coming back home. But I haven't had a good sleep in a long time, so maybe my body's just shot. Or maybe I just had a bit too much firewater. It was good.  

My mind recalls the spy and traitor but it's unable to hold on to it for long. I soon close my eyes. 

******************************** 

My heart pounds as Lorma opens the door. 

'Is Fey still here?' I ask with a quiver. 

Worry creeps on Lorma's face. 'She left at the usual time. You didn't see her?' 

I shake my head. 'That's why I'm here. Are you sure she's not still with you?' 

'You probably just missed her. She could be back home.' 

'I waited and waited at the gate to the inner city, she couldn't have passed me. And I arrived too early.' 

'Maybe she went for a stroll around the greenhouses and lost track of time. You know she likes it there.' 

'Yes, you're probably right. I'll check.' 

'I'll come with you. We can take a carriage. Let me just put something decent on.' 

I don't wait. And I run and run, my leg giving out several times. 

When I reach the greenhouses, I don't find her. 

Maybe she is back home, waiting for me. 

Heading back, I sprint past the small park where I proposed to her. It's then that I smell an aroma. Fey's perfume. 

I relax. Fey's probably in there, reliving that most precious time. 

I follow the smell into the park, my heart jumping with glee, wanting to gaze at her beauty as if the world was ending. 

'Fey,' I call out. 'Fey.' 

She's not answering. 

Maybe she just left, on her way to the inner city entrance to meet me. 

I turn back when I see something lying on the ground beside a tree. 

'NOOOO!' 

*******************************