Chapter Fifteen

The morning light peers over Lorma's house as I climb onto the steed, a beautiful chestnut beast, sent to me by one of the king's guards not too long ago. 

Even though it's far from what I want, I have to let my men deal with the investigation into the latest victim without me. 

'We need to identify the woman,' I say to them as they and Lorma stand in line in the courtyard. 'Go around to every home in the area and ask if anyone's missing.' 

'Will do, sir,' replies Tready. 

'And make sure someone's here when the examiner arrives today. We don't want him waiting around, wasting his time. Time is precious.' 

'I'll look out for him,' breathes Lorma, a look of fear in her eyes, 'let him in. That's the least I can do.' 

She's afraid for my safety, I can tell. 

'Thank you, lordess,' I reply, bowing. 

She doesn't frown or look disappointed at me calling her by her title. She must be truly beyond frightened. 

And I'm fearful for her safety too. 

'Which one of you has decided to take up residence here?' I ask my men. 

'Again, Pannor, that won't be necessary.' Lorma says. 

'Please, lordess,' I reply. 'Knowing you have someone here to protect you will bring me great comfort on my journey.' 

She bows in defeat. 

'It'll be me, sir,' says Jac. 'I'll be taking the spare bedroom next to the study. If I can remember where it is.' 

'Good,' I reply. 

Lorma inches up to the steed, pulling a letter out from her coat. 'Can you give this to Seamil? He said he'll say goodbye to you at the wall.' 

'Will do,' I say and take the letter, putting it in the satchel at the steed's side. 

Tightening my grip on the reins, I take a deep breath and say, 'I better be off.' 

'Safe travels, sir,' my men say together. 

'And good luck,' Tready adds. 

I look down at Lorma, a tear running down her cheek. 

She wipes it away before saying softy to me, 'Pannor, you and Seamil are all I have left. Don't do anything foolish. Promise me. Promise me.' 

If anyone else told me not to be foolish, I'd defend my character with a raised voice. And on the rare occurrence, a showing of my blade too. 

'I promise,' I whisper back. 'I'll be as sensible as Fey.' 

Lorma taps my good leg and says, 'Safe travels.' 

I bow. 

Leaving the courtyard, May comes to say goodbye as well, riding beside me for a while before trotting off to a patch of weeds sprouting nearby. 

And as the city starts to breathe with souls, though pitiful it is, I take the steed easy through the streets. I don't want to risk her going lame just as we've started our journey to the siege line. 

Before I know it, the gate of the southern wall greets me like a monstrous iron beast, its wooden bolts like an armor of ribs. Getting closer, I notice a narrow door opening at the side. 

Seamil appears. 

I plod over and say, 'Thank you for seeing me off, old friend. It means a good deal. Truly. You have no idea.'