✧ 04 ✧ jumping back on the horse

S4

S4. E5

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

Autumn had finally begun to change the leaves of the trees. It was early mid-October, and Lorelai Gilmore had found herself on a Saturday morning doing the most un-Lorelai thing ever: gardening. Babette was well meaning when she gave Lorelai some bulbs to plant, but the young woman next door did not have a green thumb...or a great memory, it seems. She had tossed the bulbs to the side and completely forgot about them until this morning when Babette asked her how the garden was going.

Frantically, Lorelai found the mold-infested, smelly bulbs and began to plant. That's where a very confused Rory found her when she came home.

"Forget about the bulbs. Let's talk about something else. How's school?" Lorelai asked her daughter in desperation, throwing her tool on the ground.

"School's fine. It's hard but good. Tana's fine. Janet and Paris are fighting because Janet gets up at 5:30 to go jogging, wakes Paris up, and the resulting argument wakes everybody up. I don't know, I try to stay out of it. Classes are good," Rory trailed off.

She had conveniently not told her mom about the run in with Matty at the party. She wasn't sure why she didn't bring it up. It just felt weird to talk about.

"What aren't you telling me?"

"Huh? N-nothing. Why would you think I'm not telling you anything?" Rory chuckled nervously. She had always been a really bad liar.

"Rory, sweetie, you can't lie to save your life. What's up?"

"Well, you know how I ran into Matty in the first week of school?" Lorelai nodded. "We kind of had an argument."

Lorelai stopped what she was doing and turned to face Rory.

"Y-You argued? About what?" she questioned in disbelief.

"Well, I was cornered by those twins Grandma had asked to make sure I fell in with the right crowd. And she came up and asked to borrow me. But you should have seen the way Kick and Mickey acted when she showed up. It was like she was royalty or something."

"Wait, I'm sorry. She rescued you from an uncomfortable social situation, and you got upset at her for it?" scoffed Lorelai.

"I didn't need her to save me. She thinks that because she grew up in that whole world that I don't know how to conduct myself, but I do. I was a debutante. I went to Chilton, and I got into Yale. I don't need her."

"Did she say that you can't conduct yourself?" Lorelai asked.

"Well, n-no. But I- I know she was thinking it. People like her always think that they're better than me. I mean, she just waltzes around the school in her expensive clothes and jewelry- and she's studying fashion or something? It's just such a waste of someone's spot at Yale."