✧ 16 ✧ crappy birthday

S4

S4. E12

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

Matty's alarm was deafening on Friday morning. Rolling over to find it, it felt like the sun had a personal vendetta against her hazel eyes. A loud groan escaped her lips as she tossed one of her pillows at the clock. With no will power to move, she stuffed her head underneath another pillow and prayed she would miraculously fall asleep through the defining wail.

"Matty, please! Some of us are not morning freaks!" she heard Briar shriek as the door swung open.

The sound of the alarm went away, and she felt someone sit down at the edge of her bed. Hesitantly, Matty's eyes fluttered open to meet Briar's.

"You look like hell."

She rolled her eyes at the comment and sat up. Last night had been a never ending loop of her memories with Logan, and the bags under her eyes were proof.

"Don't let anyone tell you you're not charming," she sneered at the redhead.

Matty glanced at the clock which displayed 6:30 A.M. so brightly that it felt like it was mocking her. A whole hour of sleep would do her no good today.

With a deep sigh, she got up and began to pull on her pants and a turtleneck.

"Okay, you just went from trying to sleep through your alarm to getting ready. What gives?" Briar asked.

"I can never fall back asleep once I've really woken up. It's like a curse," Matty sighed as she pulled on her combat boots. She didn't need to meet Briar's eyes to know she was staring at her quizzically. She could feel the redhead's gaze burning through her skull. With a defeated sigh, Matty sat up. "I didn't sleep...again."

"That's like the fifth night in a row," Briar pointed out. "Are you okay?"

"I just- I have something on my mind."

"Or someone."

Matty rolled her eyes but nodded. "I've been dreaming about Logan, and I- I don't know why."

"Maybe it's because you finally admitted you miss him. It's like all your suppressed memories are finally coming to the surface or something."

"Whatever it is, I wish it would give me a break," groaned Matty. "I just wish I- I wish I was over it. Over him," she whispered the last part and closed her eyes to stop any potential tears that wanted to form.

She knew Briar was giving her that pitiful look she and Charlotte had been flashing at her all week. Hell, all year. It was bad enough that she had admitting out loud that she missed him. She didn't need the pathetic looks from her friends too.

"It just takes time," Briar said softly.

"I guess," Matty said, abruptly standing up and throwing on her puffer vest and grabbing her backpack.