✧ 15 ✧ sleepless night

no episode reference

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧

July 4th, 1995

The sun blazed down on Matilda Hayden as she laid out on the deck of the Huntzberger's sailboat. Today was hotter than usual in Martha's Vineyard.

Covered from head to tow in suntan oil, she could feel the rays heating up her skin. It was days like this when she was especially thankful for inheriting her dad's ability to tan. She glanced over to Charlotte who laid beside her. She had passed out 15 minutes ago.

"Uh, do you have any idea where we're going?" she heard Logan's friend, Robert, ask.

"Of- Of course I do, Robert! We're obviously heading West!" Logan's voice said. "Or North?" he added hastily.

Matty sat up instantly and looked at them. Both boys were huddled over the front of the sailboat, their eyes squinting at the compass in Robert's hand. Matty threw a towel over Charlotte who was beginning to sport a small burn and joined the boys.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Uh nothing!" Logan chuckled, snatching the compass from Robert's hand and hiding it behind his back.

"Are we lost?"

"No."

"Yes."

Logan glared at his friend, who just shrugged in response.

"I knew I shouldn't have let you convince us to take the boat out! Your dad is going to kill us!"

"Technically, he can't kill us if we're already dead," Robert pointed out now earning a glare from both Logan and Matty. "Sorry. Not helpful. Got it."

"The compass is broken," Logan said with a deep sigh, handing it over to the girl.

She took it and examined it carefully. She looked at the sun, which was a few hours from setting, and back to the compass.

"The polarity is off. Does your grandpa's boat have an earth magnet?"

"I- I have no idea," Logan scoffed.

With a roll of her eyes, Matty entered the cabin and began to search through the drawers. When that proved unsuccessful, she moved to the closet and searched through the toolboxes until she finally pulled out the object she was searching for. She smirked proudly and place the compass on the table where she took off the front glass. Matty held the magnet near the compass and examined where the needle was attracted to.