Gulag

It had been a restless nerve wracked night spent on the periphery with the slaves

It had been a restless nerve wracked night spent on the periphery with the slaves. Aran felt chilled so distant from the fire, but he dared not approach, instead huddling in his huge cape, in stunned disbelief this was happening to him. The warriors spoke in hushed tones forgoing sleep, there would be time for that later.

At intervals Sven shot his brother looks of concern, he appeared to be speaking to Bennett with great urgency. This caused Aran, usually fearless, to feel sick inside. Maya huddled close to her man, she too sensing his doubt. His fall from grace would mean hardship for her as well.

The warriors were passing sentence on one of their own. This was something not often done, and was debated with much seriousness by all, even Todd, his face ashen with loss of blood had been brought close to the roaring fire. The wounded warrior propped up against a stack of hides that he might listen and comment on the ideas being passed about on Aran's sentence.

Seemingly incapacitated as he was Todd still had much to say on the matter, glaring across at the object of his displeasure at intervals as he voiced his piece to his leader; who sat immobile and impassive listening to all the arguments, his large hand absently rubbing his strong jaw line or straying at intervals to the warm flesh of his slave at his feet.

Todd was not alone in his opinions, it seemed every man there had plenty to contribute, and by what Aran could make out the majority of the argument was not in his favor.

The slightest alteration in the light signified dawn. Raissa was up preparing food, Maya leaving Aran's side, going the help her as did Lucy and Lissa. The other two women now rarely left the bed they shared, they had become so weak with sickness. Most there seemed not to notice their absence from the slave community.

Aran may have been disgraced amongst his peers, but Maya still brought him his meal as though he were a king and nothing had fundamentally changed. He gazed at the food, but the young warrior had little stomach for it, setting it aside, even the wine this day had no appeal.

Sven stood, hefting another great beam on to the fire, the solid aged hardwood burned hotly once it finally caught, giving off intense heat and popping sparks. The women dutifully and silently cleared the remains of the morning meal, refilling the cups.

Aran blanched as his brother left the fire to come towards him, knowing without being told a verdict had at last been reached. Sven giving him no hint of what was to come except a sorry glance. Aran released his body from Maya's embrace firmly pushing her back as he rose, taking a few moments to compose himself, adjusting his weapons belt and cape, and followed behind Sven to the fire and his awaiting sentence.

Aran stood in the vacant space by the fire, all eyes on him accusing, serious, sensing no mercy there. Bennett did not bid him to sit, but left him standing, awkward and unsure being appraised by all. The young man's mind rummaging through the terrible list of possibilities. Images of his impending fate playing over and over in snippets in his head. All terrible, adding to his sense of fear.