Cheated

People don't think of Australia as a nation of slavery shame but it existed

People don't think of Australia as a nation of slavery shame but it existed. Some 62,000 Melanesian people were brought to Australia and to work in Queensland's sugar plantations between 1863 and 1904. Indigenous Australians had a more enduring experience of slavery, originally in the in Western Australia, and the Torres Strait, and then in the cattle industry.

In the pastoral industry, employers exercised a high degree of control over "their" Aboriginal workers, who were bought and sold as chattels, particularly where they "went with" the property upon sale. There were restrictions on their freedom of choice and movement. There was cruel treatment and abuse, control of sexuality, and forced labor.

Aurianne found it most difficult to contend with her new found situation from which there seemed no escape, nothing in the young woman's life had prepared her for this. Always she had been free, cared for, respected in her community. Living in a settlement that frowned on slavery and was ruled by fairness, where no one was below the next man. Through the long sleepless night she vowed she would never be a slave, least of all his. She would never obey the demand of this boorish man nor any other, no matter what the cost. She would end her life first.

Morning crept slowly over the landscape seeping into the dark cave and waking the sleeping men. Aran was awake first, he did not linger beneath the warmth of his cape but set to rekindling the fire. He was eager to be gone though he did toy with the idea of bathing in the oasis below, however he did not act on this impulse. He would though after many hungry days of traveling sate his appetite first.

Aurianne just sat observing the large man. He was not displeasing to look at. To be honest he had quite the opposite effect on her, which in its self was quite disturbing. Her captor was a little older than she, but still bore the last fading traces of boyish youth, softening his stoic features at moments. His body was true and strong, no longer that of an adolescent. His harsh existence in the wastes forging the hard warrior and his habits, always under the surface lurked the no nonsense mercenary, with very little room for pity or remorse.

Aurianne could sense all this and more, and she shivered. Though he was fair and golden, there was the presence of darkness beneath, an unbridled savagery. All this combined to make the usually fearless woman want nothing more than to run from this man and never set sights on him again.

His smaller more joyous companion stirred stretching and yawning noisily, and Aurianne could smell the meat cooking, realizing she was more than just a little hungry this morning. Aran met Aurianne's eyes a slight one sided smile curled his stern lips and Aurianne looked away, however he did not, again appraising his fine captive and all his anticipated pleasures.

"I wish to at least take my horse." Aurianne said strongly risking his ire as Aran marched her forward hands tied. 

He was pushing her ahead of him down the narrow path, towards the herd of animals that drank from the sandy beach of the oasis. Jhary some distance behind humming a merry tune to himself and looking up at the heavily blanketed sky. He was as annoyingly cheerful, as this other awful man was dour and cruel Aurianne lamented.