Fugitives

Jhary Brannon and Aurianne sat quietly by the vestiges of the smoldering fire

Jhary Brannon and Aurianne sat quietly by the vestiges of the smoldering fire. The fleeing duo had been very hesitant to kindle the warmth of flame, but they had at last decided to give in to some small form of comfort. Departing so hastily from the slavers compound there were no rations, water, or even saddles for the horses to be had.

Aurianne's heavy set chestnut mare Isabou grazed hungrily on the sparse cropping of sharply spined grasses, just beyond the ring of light emanated by the blaze. The other bay horse mimicking her almost exactly in the quest for nourishment.

Aurianne smiled as she turned to gaze at her equine friend, who was in fine shape after spending some weeks doing nothing but eating copious amounts of hay during her captivity. At least Isabou had profited from what appeared Aurianne's misfortune.

"Well?" Jhary sighed, patting his battered guitar case. "What to do now? Two horses, a guitar, and wonderful company. But seriously what do we do?" He had been echoing Aurianne's very thoughts on the matter. That was when she was not dwelling on what had exactly happened today in the pit before her.

"Well..." She said softly. "All my people are dead. Though I do have a matter I need to put to rest, a clansman I need to either rescue or satisfy he is beyond my help."

"Oh." Added Jhary, hardly keeping the disappointment from his tone, not really wanting to think about engaging in any kind of risk so soon.

So he decided he would see if he could change the tangent of the immediate urgency of his companion.

"I think first Mi-lady we should attempt to get some supplies, and honestly I am really in difficulty without a saddle."

Aurianne laughed musically at this admission. Indeed her companion was a terrible rider, and she had wondered how long he was going to suffer clinging to a horse he seemed to have no sense of balance on. How he made the initial gallop away from the slavers compound she did not know. The young woman had guessed fear had held the poor man in his seat? Or perhaps no more then his determined white knuckled grip on the mares mane.

"There are many friendly settlements here. I am familiar with the south. I know people and I could ply my trade so we could better equip."

"Yes, it would be a good idea." Aurianne acknowledged. "I need time to craft a new bow and shafts. We at the very least need water and food, and you are right a saddle." She again laughed, and Jhary smiled. Real laughter to him was more valuable than gold.

"Well tomorrow then we will begin to see what we can do. Sadly tonight will not be the most comfortable, but at least we are free." The bard lay back on the sand and closed his eyes. Though he sensed sleep this night would be very sparse. "Do you think they will search for us?' He questioned.

Aurianne's reply was long in coming. Jhary had almost thought she had not heard. "After today I am not really sure." She said poking at the dying embers with a stick. "They may search for us, but I think potentially they may have other troubles on their minds. I feel there may be infighting over what happened today, and that old slaver might be doing all he can to save his own hide presently."