Tunnels of War

Things had seemed bleak, however Gareth was not a man to give up so easily

Things had seemed bleak, however Gareth was not a man to give up so easily. Part of the reason Bennett has sent him on this perilous mission of discovery. There was after all food to be hunted, an endless supply of water at their disposal, not to mention an entire town with which to draw hard supplies. So a camp was established, and slowly the site was further explored.

The complex was very large, and from what they could fathom it seemed to run in many directions deep under the earth. They found vent shafts a considerable distance from the main missile launch area. Warren on further prodding confessed he knew the silo was vast, but most of it was off limits to one with his low level security clearance.

Gareth was not amused, however he was here and there was a task at hand, though Warren really was proving little help. The three men spent all the available daylight hours searching for some way in. They often would return to the ruins of Wentworth, however not a living soul did they spy. Harvesting many useful objects to be returned to the camp.

*****

Day three and it had begun as the two previous, with some roast kangaroo meat, a drink at the river and more searching. Near midday Dwayne had run excitedly back into camp. Black hair and white bone ornaments flying in all directions as he prattled on excitedly he had found an opening.

Gareth gathered up some tools, along with the firebrands he had crafted, one of which he lit from the coals of the dying breakfast fire. Handing the various implements to the men, they set off to investigate Dwayne's find.

Indeed it was an entrance of some sort, and not just another sealed vent shaft as Gareth had feared, but a real portal into the labyrinth below. 

"Good work." Gareth smiled ruggedly at the young and vital Dwayne revealing chipped teeth, Dwayne nodded and returned the triumphant look. Warren just stood nervously behind, leaning on his stick awaiting instruction.

"I don't like that." Dwayne was looking up and pointing to a very ominous sky.

"Neither do I." Gareth squinted upward, as he pressed torches into waiting hands, there would be no other way to illuminate the unknown below.

"Looks like one bad storm."

"We will be safer underground, so let's get to it. Stick together, we have no clue what's in here."

The opening looked innocuous enough. Animal droppings, loose sand and spider webs at the entrance. A concrete, reinforced shaft cut back into a raised, rocky outcrop. From the other direction it was almost impossible to see the well hidden opening. This entrance was not unlike a mine shaft, and the three men inched into the narrow aperture with caution. Gareth kept getting a sinking feeling that perhaps this may just lead to another internal blast door that would be tightly sealed.

They traversed this straight passageway watching the opening behind them become no more than a tiny pinpoint of light. 

"I hope we don't get lost in here." Warren muttered clearly afraid.