Chapter Four

The humid early morning air weighed on us as Gram sat with me on the hard, wooden bench at the Alexandria train station. An occasional breeze brought relief, but the dampness on my skin was headed toward flat-out rivers of sweat.

The four-hour drive to Green Bank, West Virginia for Parallax wasn't an option for Gram. That left me with a five-hour trip on my own: three hours by train followed by a two-hour car ride.

Gram patted my leg. "Thanks for taking the train. I wouldn't be comfortable all that time by myself with that computer driving."

"You'll have to do it eventually."

"On highways, sure, but not once we hit those mountain roads in West Virginia. No way," Gram said as she shook her head.

"According to the studies, it's safer, you know. I could have done it alone if you would've let me have the car for six weeks."

Gram chuckled. "And if it wasn't against the law for a 15-year-old to travel alone in a driverless car."

I shrugged and said, "There is that." I knew the real reason was that she wouldn't leave Gramp alone. I didn't blame her.

With a slight head tilt, Gram indicated a girl pulling a fuchsia suitcase toward the ticket counter. "Isn't that Lucy's friend, Kate?"

I covered my mouth and muttered. "Great." When Gram started to wave, I grabbed her arm and pulled it down more aggressively than I intended.

"Ow. What was that for?" She gave me a sharp look.

"Sorry, Gram. I'd rather not spend any more time with her than necessary." As Kate headed straight for us, I tried not to think about the next six weeks with her up in my business.

"Hi, Savanna. This is pretty exciting, huh? I hope we can sit together." She had a sweet southern drawl, but I knew she was a bedazzled rattlesnake waiting to strike.

"Hey. Should be interesting, I guess," I said as I shoved my laptop into my backpack. The last thing I wanted at this moment was to be trapped with her. The very last thing.

The rumbling of a train entering the station was a relief. The wheels shrieked intermittently as the train slowed. Gram stood up. "Here's your train. Best hop on board and grab a seat."

"I don't want to go. I want to stay with you and Gramp. He won't remember me when I come back."

Gram hugged me and chucked me under the chin, reminding me of when I was little. "He'll never forget you, Savanna. There's too much love there to be forgotten." She pressed a button on the car fob and held it near her mouth. "Pick up in five minutes. My location."

She was hiding the truth from me. He'd been a little better when he got home, but I could see a difference. He fumbled more for words and had a hesitancy unlike his normal self.

Without knowing what else I could do, how I could change the situation, I followed Kate into the train car and tugged my suitcase down the aisle. All the seats were taken except one next to a boy about our age. I swallowed my gasp when our eyes met. They were a mesmerizing color, more green than hazel, and I found myself wishing my hair was as pretty as his.

Kate must've seen him at the same time I did. I bumped into her clumsily when she stopped next to him. She flipped her hair over one shoulder and tilted her head. "Here's one. Hopefully, you can find a seat in the next car." And then that smile. I hated that smile.

She fussed with her suitcase, holding up everyone behind us. Still looking at me, the boy shrugged, then squinted at Kate. As she struggled to lift her bag, she sighed and asked the boy, "Do you mind helping me with this?"