Chapter Eighteen

Christina and I arrived at the dance at the same time as Ben and Duncan. We stood close together as we looked around the room.

Duncan put his hand on my shoulder. "Let's see what they have to eat." His hand slipped to my waist and he applied gentle pressure to guide me, but I hesitated.

Christina elbowed me and whispered, "See. Told you."

Before I could reply, Ben took her hand and whisked her away to dance.

"Why the big smile?" Duncan asked.

"Christina was nice enough to let me wear this skirt, and now she's already dancing with someone. Karma, you know?" I didn't let on that the someone was Christina's crush.

"You look nice in that skirt," Duncan said as he handed me a glass of lemonade. "And I bet it will be fantastic when you dance."

No snark, that's what Christina said. If somebody compliments you, say thank you. I took a sip of my drink. "Thanks." Turned out it wasn't that hard, not at all.

Duncan was easier to talk to than I expected and we danced until I started to sweat. A slow song came on, and I panicked that he'd notice the wet spot on my back. "Let's take a break."

Duncan led me outside, where we sat on a bench overlooking the old hot springs. In the distance, the white pergola over the small pool stood out against the dark trees in the background.

"How come you don't hang out with the others much? When I see them, I always look for you, but you usually aren't there." The intensity of Duncan's expression as he spoke unnerved me.

"You look for me?"

"Ever since we met on the train. You seemed interesting, and your attitude was different. Different is good."

"But you and Kate seemed totally into each other the whole trip."

"Nah. She's hard to ignore. If you know what I mean."

"I have an idea. But then how come you went for that walk with her in Staunton and didn't include me?"

"Ah. She told me you preferred being alone."

"For the record, I usually do, but it would've been nice if you had at least asked."

Duncan only nodded.

The night was clear, and without the light pollution from the city, the stars seemed brighter. As I silently named the constellations, my self-consciousness faded. It wasn't completely gone, but it was duller, hazier, easier to push away.

When he put his arm around me, I relaxed toward him. His right hand slid down to my lower back, and he pulled me closer. He took my hand with his left and intertwined his fingers with mine.

Duncan said, "You have such delicate fingers."

I stared at him, uncertain if he was mocking me or not. No one had ever used the word "delicate" to describe anything about me.

Then, while the chaperones were busy elsewhere, Duncan kissed me, and I kissed back. I definitely kissed back.

Duncan pulled away and stroked my hair. "Wait for me here, okay? I'll be right back."

Don't overthink it.

Christina had said that also. I tilted my head back. I could see a zillion stars.

"Those lights on your skirt made you look like an angel when you were dancing." Ben sat down next to me.

Remember Christina's advice.