Chapter Five

She had been ghostlike, misty at the edges of my awareness. Before Gramp had shared any details with me, I had known my great-grandmother was Italian, and I had a vague understanding she'd come to the U.S. after World War II. I'd never thought once about her as a real person.

Although she no longer existed, she was alive through her words. She allowed me to slip into her life and experience a different view of the world. She wasn't some manufactured character created out of someone's imagination. She'd once been alive, able to hate, love, scream—to feel.

From Gramp, I had the beginning and the end of her story. The middle, unfolding in front of me, sent anxiety shooting through my body. How I wished I had the power to warn her to be careful, not trust anyone, and share with her how to protect herself from the dangers of people who might hurt her. But it was impossible. The best I'd ever be able to do would be to find Gramp's sister to fulfill her dream.

And I had no realistic idea of how to pull that off.

The train ride helped me fall back in time with its wheels clacking an ancient rhythm as we passed the scrubby backsides of the small Virginia towns, the blue-green swells of the Blue Ridge, and then the Allegheny Mountains.

"Staunton. Next stop. Staunton, Virginia coming up."

The train slowed, the swath of trees lining both sides of the tracks interrupted only by glimpses of a highway and farmland. Cows and horses were still a thing apparently.

I tried to wish the train right through its stop because next up in the I'd-rather-be-someplace-else sweepstakes was a two-hour ride to Hidden Springs, the Green Bank Observatory, and Parallax. Anything to delay the looming prison term of waking up to Kate every morning for forty-two days.

Day one of my sentence. Dead girl walking.

"Oh, it's so pretty." Kate's words floated down the aisle. "I love the outdoors. Don't you, Duncan?"

There was no question Kate was the type who thought camping meant a cheap motel like the BeddiBye Inn I'd seen when we blew through Harrisonburg. Hidden Springs Resort was in the middle of nowhere, I'd give her that. From the photos I'd seen though, we wouldn't run the chance of any serious entanglements with the outdoors. Quite the reverse. We'd be living in luxury. Acres and acres of luxury.

That brought to mind my panic-packing as I jammed a skirt into my suitcase at Gram's insistence. The idea we might be expected to dress up made me itchy. A denim skirt was as far as I'd go because it allowed me to pretend I was wearing jeans.

"All off for Staunton, Virginia."

I stepped aside to let Plaid Man into the aisle. And to avoid an encounter with Duncan as he took Kate's suitcase from the overhead rack. Kate giggled and squeezed his bicep. I practically sprained my eyes I rolled them so hard.

A knot of irritation formed at a sudden need for Duncan's attention. Could be Kate was the honest one, letting him know she was interested by asking for his help.

Kate? Honest? Ha-ha. That's crazy.

"So, you prefer to manage your own suitcase?" Plaid Man said as he gestured to the rack.

Clearly my poker face needed work. I said, "Yeah. I can manage."

I followed Plaid Man off the train, my roller bag squeaking behind me, and stopped on the platform. I scanned the lot for the van that was supposed to pick us up, but I didn't see it.

Kate stood close to Duncan; her head nearly rested on his shoulder. After a short conversation, she hopped up a few inches and clapped her hands. She turned to me, waving. She shouted, "Savanna! I'm taking a walk with Duncan. Text me when the van shows up."