Veteran's Day

Brutus

I sighed as I  got up and walked outside to the off  myself then said  Lola I'm going out I'll see you when I get back. I sighed as I left and walked to my  former masters grave and  sighed happy Veterans day. I'm sorry i failed you. I sighed as I  curled up at the  foot of his grave and  whispered

I knew a man, called him Sandy Cane
Few folks even knew his name
But a hero, yes was he
Left a boy, came back a man
Still many just don't understand
About the reasons we are free
I can't forget the look in his eyes
Or the tears he cried
As he said these words to me
All Gave Some, Some Gave All
Some stood through for the red, white and blue
And some had to fall
And if you ever think of me
Think of all your liberties and recall
Some Gave All
Now Sandy Cane is no longer here
But his words are oh so clear
As they echo throughout our land
For all his friends who gave us all
Who stood their ground and took the fall
To help their fellow man
Love your country and live with pride
And don't forget those who died
America can't you see?
All Gave Some, Some Gave All
Some stood through for the red, white and blue
And some had to fall
And if you ever think of me
Think of all your liberties and recall
Some Gave All
And if you ever think of me
Think of all your liberties and recall
Yes recall
Some Gave All
Some Gave All
Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Billy Ray Cyrus / Cindy Cyrus
Some Gave All lyrics © BMG Rights Management, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Universal Music Publishing Group

I frowned as I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see one of my former team members. I smiled and gently licked his chin before laying down again and resting My head on his lap. I smiled as he  began stroking my fur and frowned as I heard Lola  calling me. I sighed as I looked up and saw Lola a short way off and said  what is it Lola? She  blushed and said I just wanted to make sure you're okay. I nodded and said yeah just  remembering my former life as an MWD. I smiled as my former team came over and  knelt down and said seems you've found a new life Brutus Ashton would be proud. I  smiled and nodded then  froze as I  heard my  Pups come running over. I chuckled and said I should have known. I smiled as I rolled over and  wrestled with my pups  being careful not to hurt them. I smiled as my former team smiled and said  Ashton can finally be at peace knowing his best bud is happy. I froze as I sensed something wasn't right and growled as I  tackled my former team member just as a loud  gunshot rang out. I yelped as I felt a  sharp pain hit me in the ribs and collapsed. I growled and  sprang  to my feet ignoring the pain as my military training  kicked in and said Lola take the kids and run. I growled as I faced the assailant and froze as I  recognized him as my former masters father. He froze as he recognized me and quickly dropped the gun rushing to help. I growled  backing away nervously sensing something wasn't right. I froze as he said I'm sorry Brutus truly I am I didn't know it was you. I huffed and snorted as I took off running for the road and laid down having lost to much blood and strength. I frowned as I felt hands picking me up and relaxed as I heard the familiar sound of my teams voice saying it's OK now, Brutus, you're safe. I  whined as I felt myself slipping away further into the void. I froze as I awoke in the vets office wrapped in bandages and hooked up to an IV. I frowned as I looked around and smiled as I spotted master and my ex team a short distance away and smiled wagging My tail weakly as they took turns petting my head being careful not to mess with my injuries. I smiled and licked both hands and smiled as the vet came in and said  Good news they caught him. I growled aggravated and froze as the vet took a careful step closer reaching out a hand to scratch behind my ears. I smiled and barked a playful  challenge and smiled as she  said I'm glad to see your awake Brutus a shot like that could have easily killed you. I growled and  nipped at her  as she began  examining the wounds and said easy Brutus I  know it hurts. I  scoffed and thought  boy is that an understatement. I smiled as she  carefully  picked me up and  handed me to my master and said you can take him home just make sure he gets plenty of rest and food to help regain his energy and replenish his blood volume. I smiled as I heard my masters heartbeat and relaxed, finally feeling a familiar sense of comfort I've been missing since the injury. I frowned and looked up as my  master let out a sniffle and noticed he'd been crying. I frowned and licked his chin and let out a playful growl hoping for a smile. I smiled as he  chuckled and said Brutus I'm glad you're OK but I'm afraid that after this I'm going to have to make adjustments to keep you Lola and the pups in our backyard where you'll be safe. I sighed knowing it was for the best and relented as he placed me on my bed and said now be good and stay. I sighed and thought as If I could go anywhere even if I wanted.