[1.08]

𝓐s Taryn ran errands on a crisp autumnal afternoon, Jess randomly appeared at her side and did not miss a beat. She, at this point unsurprised by his sudden appearances in her day, smiled softly instead of finding a frown. "Where are you headed in such a hurry?" he asked just quietly enough that people around them wouldn't be able to hear.

She, as they passed Luke's on the other side of the road, frowned briefly in confusion as she asked him, "Aren't you supposed to be working?"

"It's the weekend," he shrugged and proceeded to look her up and down for a split second - she caught it of course. He liked what she was wearing today, though would never admit that to her. She shifted her body uncomfortably under her sweater but chose to ignore the shiver that danced across her spine. Instead she cocked a brow, knowing that Luke wouldn't dream of giving Jess the weekends off as it was the business time and 'work kept him out of trouble' he thought anyway.

Taryn , deciding that it would be best to not question anything, finally answered his initial question. "I'm running errands."

He, faking the utmost intrigue, sarcastically asked, "Interesting errands?"

"For me, yes." Without looking, Taryn stepped out into the road in her pure excitement to get over to the magazine stand and collect her order before he closed for the day. Jess acted quickly and took her shoulder, gently but quickly pulling her out of the way of being run over by an approaching car.

"I think I should come with you to prevent any further accidents," he smirked ever so slightly, hand still resting atop her shoulder.

She turned away from the road, after watching the car pass, and looked towards him. "You know you could have just asked to come with, I would have said yes," she shrugged, acting as if his attempt at saving her from being run over wasn't as appreciated as it was. He scoffed and initially went to deny that that had been his plan but - seeing the look in her eyes- knew she would not be convinced away from the truth. So they instead headed across the road, side by side.

Bootsy, upon seeing her approach, picked up a specific magazine which was specially wrapped in brown paper and twine. She thanked him twice as she slotted the magazine into her bag, making sure it was not folded before handing him over the usual money. The second she turned to leave with Jess, Bootsy began to shut down his stand for the evening. "He gets one copy of Vogue in just for me and doesn't up charge me either," she explained as they walked away, noticing the furrowed look between Jess' brows. "Not a popular title with the locals."

"I wonder why," he jokingly puzzled as they passed Kirk who was dressed head to toe in a rather interesting looking sweatpants cross suit mix. Taryn smiled at him, to be polite, internally cringing at the outfit itself. It was a choice, that's for sure. "Next, the bookstore."

He stopped to turn around but she continued in the same direction. He frowned and called after her, "You're headed in the wrong direction."

She turned around, walking backwards for a second as she grinned, "Am I?" He cocked a brow and hesitated before running to catch up with her. He followed her down a small hidden lane, where they had to dodge creeping foliage, to the back of a shop he had never seen before. The small shop had every single wall and surface crowded with books, they spilled from every surface and were piled so high that there was hardly any walking space available. He momentarily assumed this must have been the storage room, but when the older lady that ran it greeted them both at the door from an equally cramped desk, he lost that assumption. "Any book you could ever want would be buried here somewhere. Second hand, of course," she whispered as they walked to the very back of the shop, weaving down the small worn aisles.