[4.02]

SPRING

ℱor Easter, ever since Tas and Angela's twins were born, they had a family get together in the home of whoevers turn it was that year. This year it was Taryn and Jess' turn to host. Though their apartment was relatively small considering all the people within it, they always seemed to make it work. With Tas, Angela, the twins (Paige and Mila), Taryn  Jess, Daisy, Olive, Aria, Trina and syrup (their golden retriever) there was very little room to move but they still somehow managed to find enough space that they could be around each other but not on top of each other. The Easter tradition was Tas' favorite holiday, as it stemmed from a tradition he and Taryn had when they were younger, so they made sure to have their get together no matter how busy their schedules were.

Taking a small break from the living room discussion, Taryn and Aria headed into the kitchen area to make some more snacks for the group before the board game portion of the night would start. They had already hunted eggs in the nearby park and had played their easter version of secret santa (where everyone would draw a name and buy a specialist easter egg for that person.) So the board game portion of the night was the only thing left of the predetermined itinerary and just happened to be Angela's favorite part.

"I have something to tell you," Aria announced softly as Taryn started to cut various veggies into sticks whilst Aria worked on chopping tomatoes for her specialty nachos.

Taryn, gaze fixated on the chopping board to prevent her from cutting off a finger, smiled softly as she did not see the frown on Aria's lips, "Did you and Trina decide to paint your kitchen yellow after going over colors for so incredibly long you realized that the first color you picked out was actually perfect and you should have listened to me when I said it was?"

"No," Ri paused for a second as she picked up another tomato. "Well yes but that's not what I was talking about."

"I knew it," Taryn laughed softly, suddenly noticing how her voice sounded distant in her own head.

"She wants kids," Aria replied without a hint of emotion, stopping her chopping completely.

"Oh..." Taryn sighed subtly, finally looking up from the chopping board. Aria had never wanted her own children, she had been extremely adamant about it for the entire time that Taryn had known her. She did not want to risk screwing up a child or being anything like the parents that she had. Taryn cleared her throat and went back to chopping, needing something to do with her hands. "Did you guys talk about it?"

"She's kind of been dropping hints recently, talking about schools and how we're finally settled and such,..." she trailed off as she picked multiple leaves of coriander from the plant Taryn kept by the sink. "We talked about this years ago, she knows how I feel I just... I can't Taryn."

"I get it, don't worry," she replied softly. "Though if you did want kids you would be an amazing mother, your parents would have nothing to do with your parenting ability. But you don't want them, that's perfectly fine."

Ri sighed, "I know I know...."

"You should talk about it," Taryn suggested as she transferred all the chopped vegetables to the plate she had pulled out of the cupboard beforehand.

"I don't want to lose her though."

"Ri you can't have a kid just to make someone else happy, that's not how it works," she paused briefly for a deep intake of breath. "Even if you really want it to."

"Mom, can I take Paige to my room and put one of those thread wrapped braids in her hair? Uncle Tas said it was okay," Daisy asked, having run up to the kitchen counter in pure excitement. Paige grinned hopefully next to her, rocking back and forth on her heels in the same way Tas used to when they were children.

"Course you can," Taryn smiled, unable to say no to such a request. "Remember to cut more than you think you'll need, just in case."

In response, Daisy smiled and nodded before disappearing down a corridor hand in hand with Paige. Through that entire conversation, Ri had continuously chopped the coriander to the point that it was almost turning to mush on her chopping board. Taryn had no idea how she hadn't noticed the obvious changes in Ri's usual exterior but now they were clearer than the day and so incredibly obvious. Stopping Aria's movements, Taryn took the knife and placed it down at the side of the chopping board. "I'm okay," Ri spoke, answering a question that Taryn hadn't quite asked yet.

"I know," Taryn whispered back, choosing to hug Aria anyway as she could just tell it was desperately needed. "It'll be okay."

As Aria took a deep, steadying breath, Tas entered the kitchen looking for more breadsticks. He would, if asked, say that they were for one of his daughters when they all knew that he just liked to munch away at them. Without any knowledge of the situation, Tas dropped the near empty box onto the counter and developed both women in a bear hug. "Tassilo get your bread sticky hands off of me," Aria grumbled in feigned annoyance.

"No can do, sorry Ri Ri," Tas replied softly as he only tightened the hug.

"I hate you," Aria laughed tearfully,

He brushed off the comment with a shrug and laughed, "Hey us, godparents have to stick together."

-

After a particularly distressing phone call with her Da, where he asked when she would be home for dinner despite how late it was and despite the fact that she hadn't lived at home for over thirteen years, Taryn yawned as she turned off the computer and sent her phone to voicemail. Before she left her office, she took five minutes and deliberated in front of their bookshelf for a few moments. Once she had chosen a novel, she picked it off the shelf and placed the book on the top of Jess' bag in the living room. He always forgot to take something to read with him for work trips.

Next, she crept into their bedroom and made the real conscious effort not to accidentally wake him. She felt around her dresser drawer in the dark and removed her makeup at her vanity without using the light, on the off chance it would disturb his sleep. As she twisted her hair into its protective overnight style, a shuffle of blankets caused her throat to dry and she looked over her shoulder with fear that she had woken him within her eyes. Jess was awake but he didn't seem bothered by it at all, almost as if he had woken naturally. He leant his hand on his hand, propping himself up as he observed her though the mirror.

"You look awfully creepy right now," she whispered into the dark of their bedroom.

"Insert a cliche line about how stunning you look here," he whispered back as she walked across the bedroom, now ready to slip underneath the sheets. She laughed quietly as she slipped off her processors and placed them on the dish (that Daisy had made for her in second grade) on her nightstand.

^I put your book on top of your bag, don't forget it.^

He smiled whilst she got comfy under the covers, sticking solely to her side. ^I won't.^

She turned towards him, eyes momentarily catching the brief flutter of light that seapt in through the gap in their curtains. ^Promise?^

He nodded subtly, ^Promise....Come here?^

She smiled softly and moved herself to settle into the place she called her second home. As he wrapped her in his embrace, Taryn 's senses became overwhelmed. She began to spin a ring she had given him on a birthday years ago (which he hadn't taken off since) as her eyes drooped. His side of the bed was incredibly warm and just smelt entirely like him. She found herself falling asleep pretty quickly after he had, the slowed beats of his heart acting as the perfect distractor for her thoughts.