Chapter - 19

"Have you thought about anything?" Ragini asked inquisitively, post lunch.

"About what?" Swara asked though she knew the context of sudden broach of the currently most sensitive topic. Topic of Laksh proposed plan for Maheshwari Incorporation investing in his upcoming construction business.

"Swara, you know very well that for the last week only one topic is being discussed in the house. There is a meeting of all of you the day after tomorrow in which it will be decided whether Maheshwari Company will provide financial assistance to my Laksh's project or not." It was hard for Ragini to suppress her annoyed tone.

Sharmishtha and Parvati were observing the discussion happening in front of them silently hoping the latter would fall in line with their propaganda.

"Say clearly what you want to say. What is the use of beating around the bush like this? What do you want from me?" Swara was tired over a week hearing the rantings of her parents' family along with their sister.

"Don't you know, Sanskar is opposing Papaji's proposal to invest in our project via Maheshwari Incorporations. I don't understand what problem he has? Why does he want to stand like a mountain in the middle of his own brother's progress?" Ragini spatted, shedding crocodile tears.

"Ragu one minute my child." Shekhar interrupted by caressing his favourite daughter's hair. He knew his interruption was much needed. Girl standing in front of him is a key to unlock his miserable state.

"Shona, please don't misunderstand Ragu. She doesn't want to blame Sanskar but she is just upset. For Laksh's business and her future. She is also worried about us, your parents and our family. You know very well how many lives depend on this one decision." Finally, Shekhar pulled up his sleeves to convince his other daughter.

Over the last one week, Shekhar has delegated responsibility to convince Swara to his wife and Ragini, but they both failed to gain any assurance or promise. Their ideal daughter or sister, used to turn quite over a mere broach of the topic.

"Shona, you are my daughter. Can't I ask my own daughter's help? Also being an elder sister you should help your younger sister. You have always stood strong for our family. Won't you be fulfilling your duties this time?" Swara could not move her eyes from her father. He was caressing her hair. She could see tears in his eyes and helplessness in his entire demeanour.

"Shona, I don't need to tell you how much Sanskar loves you. He never ignores even the smallest thing you say. If you convince him for this time he will for sure listen to you. He will never say no to you. His one yes will make no difference to you or him, but our entire lives will be affected." This time Sharmishtha made her last attempt to convince her daughter.

"Swara please, I know from the last few days there have been some misunderstandings between us. But we are sisters. We are swaragini. Please .... please for our sister's bond please... I need your support." Finally, Ragini folded her hands reluctantly, shedding tears. Of course she was terrified over her vague future ahead.

Ragini hated her current stand but she was clearly asked to get Swara's confidence gaining her support assurance.

Parvati was standing silently keeping her unfaltering glare from her so-called grad-daughter's face. She had clenched her fist and gritted her teeth looking at the frailties of her beloved grand-daughter. Her contempt for Swara, reached to its peak. Her heart cursed Swara for her silence.

Whereas for Swara, she was engulfed in her own agonies. A week back she had a briefe chat with her husband about the meeting proposed by the head of the family and chairman of Maheshwari Incorporations.

Swara had observed her husband who had been abruptly turned silent.

Sanskar has pushed himself in a shell. He was back to his routine of initial days of her return. He has started going to his office too early resulting in his missing presence during breakfast time as well as his arrival late mid night limiting other family members their opportunities for any sort of interaction including Swara.