Chapter 3

"Look, Rin, it has a water tank, we can stop the fire like REAL FIREFIGHTERS!" exclaims giddy Pruk, showing excitedly his most favorite toy in the world to his new most favorite person in the world.

Chawarin has been looking at him enchanted since the moment they entered the older boy's room. He almost felt dizzy at the beginning because of the potency of Pruk's scent that's accumulated in his den. The older boy smells like the best things Chawarin could even imagine. He can't name it yet, his vocabulary is too limited, but he knows that he never smelled anything as good before. He wants to tuck his face as close to the boy's neck as possible and take a very long nap.

"Woooow" he says enraptured. "Show me, show me!"

"We have to go outside, Rin. Papa says I can't use the firehose inside. But I promise, I really didn't mean to flood Mama's carpet!" There's a big pout on Pruk's lips that makes Chawarin burst with giggles. He eagerly reaches out his hands for the toy, and Pruk, without even a second of hesitation, hands it to him, happy that his friend likes his toys.

He plays with it for a while, moving it back and forth across the carpet, while Pruk observes his every move.

"Let's go to the backyard, we can shoot the water there" he finally offers and notices how Chawarin perks up.

"Let's go, let's go!" Chawarin enthusiasm is contagious and soon after both boys run downstairs, Pruk clutching firetruck to his chest as not to drop it.

They stop in the salon where their mothers are having tea and talk about adult things.

"Mama, we're going outside, I need to teach Nong how to fight with a fire!"

His mother looks at them with a smile.

"All right, baby, but not too long, okay? Dinner will be soon."

"Okay, Mama!"

Both boys are so engaged in their play that they don't notice when almost half an hour has passed. They only stop when Pruk's mom calls them for dinner from the patio door.

"Let's race, the last one by the door is a loser!" dares Pruk with a glint in his eyes.

Chawarin huffs his cheeks.

"I'm not a losew'!" he shouts and without waiting for Pruk, he sets off. "I be fiw'st!"

Something strange stirs in Pruk's belly at the sight. He runs after Rin, but his goal is not to be first. No, he has that odd desire to chase Rin and to catch him. So, he does just that. Chawarin isn't too fast, his short legs barely carry him to the house, but Pruk lets him lead, even though he could easily beat him without breaking a sweat.

Rin reaches the door and slaps them with a shriek of laughter and pumps his fist high in the air.

"I win, I win, I'm not a losew'!" he manages to shout before Pruk all but crashes into him and wraps his arms around him.

"Gotcha!" he says proudly, not at all bothered by his second place. To be honest, he totally forgot about the dare. Chawarin's scent hightenes, the dark chocolates tones more prominent due to his happiness. Pruk notices that this strange feeling settles in his chest, making him really satisfied, exactly the same as when he made a biggest brick tower in his group and the teacher praised him loudly.

Chawarin looks at him with big eyes.

"Oy, is me who win, silly" he pouts, hitting Pruk lightly on the chest.

Pruk just beams at him.

"Yes, yes, you're the best, Rin" he says, still running high on that delightful feeling.

"Hmm, come, PukPuk, I'm hungw'y." Chawarin replies while looking suspiciously at the older boy.

Dinner runs quite smoothly until Chawarin's mother broaches the topic that turns out to be sensitive for the boys. Both mothers observe how Pruk puts piles and piles of food on Chawarin's plate and how Chawarin munches it all happily, occasionally giving some to his playmate, but it's clear that soon the visit has to come to an end.

"Thank Mrs. Panich for her hospitality, baby, we have to go home."

Pruk, who was telling some kind of joke to Chawarin, immediately sobers down.

"B-but...so soon? He can stay here," he says earnestly. "I'll share my room with him. We won't cause any trouble."

Chawarin peeks from behind Pruk, worrying his bottom lip. He's full and his eyes are dropping but he grabs the older boy's shirt in his hand as if he was his lifeline.

"Sweetie, Chawarin can't stay with us. He's tired and has his own room. Besides, his Mama and Papa will miss him very much."

"But Mama! Imma miss him too. Very, very, very much!"

"You will see each other tomorrow at kindergarten, okay? Then you will play with Chawarin all day."

Pruk's power lip begins to wobble. Rin, instantly alerted, hugs the older boy's arm with his chubby hands.

"Don't be sad, PukPuk, I don' like see you sad" he asks, touching Pruk's pouty lip with his fingers and poking it to get it back to it's original shape.

"Come, baby, it's time to go home, your plushies are waiting for you, remember?" says Mrs. Perpiriyawong, getting up from the table. She scoops Chawarin up before any of the boys could utter another word. She turns to Mrs. Panich. "Thank you, my dear, don't hesitate to call me anytime, all right?"

"Absolutely. We'll be in touch" replies Mrs. Panich as she gets up and walks them to the door. "Pruk, honey, say goodbye to Chawarin and his Mama."

Pruk reluctantly gets up from the table.

"Bye bye, Rin. Bye bye, Rin's Mama." He's clearly trying to compose himself. "Imma miss you."

Chawarin is looking at him with wide eyes.

"No PukPuk?" he says, glancing at his mother as if he just realized they were leaving Pruk behind.

"You'll see each other tomorrow, baby. Say bye bye."

"Bye bye" he repeats absent-mindedly, raising his fist to his mouth.

The door closes behind them. In no longer than five seconds Pruk starts to cry, silently at first but after a moment big fat tears are running down his cheeks. He tries to run to the door, but his Mama stops him.

"No, no, Rin! Rin! I want Rin!"

"Honey, please, calm down, you'll see him tomorrow, I promise." His Mama tries to placate him, but Pruk trashes in her hold, screaming Chawarin's name.

Suddenly, the door opens, and little boy is running inside like a madman, streaks of tears running down his puffed cheeks and snot hanging off his nose.

Pruk finally breaks free from his mother's grip and hugs the boy with all of his body, as he hiccups from the crying. Chawarin is not better, he's sniffing and wetting Pruk's shirt, but neither of them cares. They're scenting each other frantically as if they haven't seen each other at least for a year.

Chawarin's mother comes disheveled after her son, clutching her chest and breathing heavily.

"We were almost by the car when he burst into tears and started to scream. I couldn't hold him."

Pruk's mom heaves an exasperated sigh.

"And what we're supposed to do with them now?"

(In the end, both boys fell asleep from exhaustion and only then did their moms manage to finally separate them, Chawarin clutching one of Pruk's T-shirts that his mother provided for him.)