Chapter 11

Chawarin feels as if he's floating. It's a strange feeling, kind of blissful, as if he's completely detached from his body. He doesn't know where he is. He senses the presence of other people near him, but he's unable to tell them apart. He tries to pry open his eyes, but this turns out to be impossible. He frowns inwardly. Why can't he see them? After a moment, he manages to catch some single phrases.

"...ease, doctor, how is he?" Female voice, familiar.

"...be honest... secondary gender instincts... mate in danger... reacted way before he was ready... hormones overdrive... toll on his body... adrenaline and cortisol levels exceeded... mind locked to prevent damage... body preparing..." Male mature voice, solemn and distant, strange. Chawarin doesn't understand a single sentence. It's all a cluster of random words for him that have absolutely no sense.

He doesn't know what happening to him.

Suddenly his head feels heavier. Something is dragging him against his will. And then silence.

For an unspecified amount of time, he falls in and out of consciousness. Each time something nags him that he needs to wake up, that something very important awaits him. He feels someone's presence at the back of his mind, but it's dulled, as if behind a thick brick wall that he can't break down. It's so frustrating, because he feels that it's just within his reach, yet so, so far away.

And every time he gains even a little bit of consciousness, he hears a very familiar voice, deep, warm and comforting.

"...please, come back to me..."

"...I promise that I will do everything, just wake up..."

"...I miss you so much..."

And the smell... the one that has been with him for so long. Bergamot and sea, fresh and breezy. It has always given him comfort, but now he wants to inhale it deep into his lungs and let it seep into his pores. He wants to roll in that scent. He never felt that way. The pull is so, so strong.

But before he can do anything about it, he is once again pulled into darkness, slipping away from reality.

"Gemma, Gemma, I've got some hot news, you won't believe it!" Luana, the biggest gossiper in their school, whispers excitedly to her best friend in second class on the next day after the incident. "Gideon said that Pinky told him that Amber has a friend who saw what happened at school dance yesterday. And that was so sick! She said that Saint from the 10th grade tried to ambush that kid from the 8th grade in the bathroom near biology classroom. You know, that small, quiet kid who always tags along after Pruk Panich. And everyone and their mothers know that Saint has the hots for Pruk; he salivates after him like an Omega in heat whenever he sees him. And because Pruk doesn't spare him a glance, he decided to get rid of his rival," she finishes, looking at her friend with a smug face.

Gemma covers her mouth with her hand, her eyes shining with excitement.

"You're kidding! Is he dumb or what?"

"Yeah, and apparently he wanted to smash that kid's face with brass knuckles. BRASS KNUCKLES! Can you believe it? Like some kind of gangster! And you know what's the best? The squirt went all feral Alpha over him! They said he DESTROYED him with some dope karate moves. He left no crumbs."

"No way! He's like eight inches shorter than Saint! And he looks like he weighs half as much as Saint does," Gemma replies, waving her hand to emphasize Chawarin's size.

"It's always the quiet ones, right? Amber's friend said that after the fight, he blacked out, and they had to take him to the hospital."

"OMG. And what about Saint?"