2

Selene

"You're good to run the booth, right?"

"Yes, Mama." I roll my eyes.

Her brows crease, making her wrinkles pop up more. "Don't roll your eyes at me. I'm just worried."

"I know. I know." I sigh. "But it'll be fine. I can run the booth for an hour."

She leans forward and cups the back of my head. She pulls it towards her while leaning in and plants a kiss on my forehead. "I'm sure you can. But I'll still be as quick as I can." She pulls away. "I'll see you later."

"Bye, Mama."

She steps out from behind our booth and waves once before turning away. I watch her as she starts down the path towards the mango farms. I'm glad that for once she didn't make me go and pick them up. I guess the family that runs it are being pains and Mama wants to sort it out before it gets worse. 

I turn back and watch the market. It's pretty full, with people milling around. Some stand at other booths that sell baked goods, or at stalls that sell fresh produce. Food isn't the only thing being sold though. There's handmade crafts and jewelry. A smile warms my face. This is what I love about our community. How we can all come together and support each other.

"Are you smiling thinking about the scared girl you kidnapped?"

"Ah!" I jump backwards, almost knocking into the pole that keeps the tent up above us. 

That black cat from the witches house sits on our table. Right in front of the mango pound cakes. I really thought I had dreamt him. Or, well, not so much him but the talking part. 

"You followed me? Wait, wait, no. I'm still dreaming. Yep. Still dreaming." I take a deep, steadying breath.

If he could roll his eyes, I think he just did. "Of course I did. You did something to Eve and I'd like her back."

"But I  didn't do anything to her. I didn't even know her name until you told me!"

Someone passes by our booth and eyes me before turning away. That clues me into the other people shooting me weird looks.

Great, when Mama hears about this she won't be happy. "I need you to leave," I hiss at him. "You're ruining business." And my chance at looking good.

He doesn't even bother looking at the market before shaking his head. "I will not be leaving until I have some answers about Eve."

With a worried glance around I tell him, "Look, I don't know anything about Eve. The only reason I even pass her cottage is because it's the quickest way to get here." And for other reasons that this annoying cat does not need to know. "Happy? Now please leave or I'll have to-"

"Is this mango pound cake?" He peers intensely at it as his nose moves slightly closer to it.

I blink at him. "It is. Why is that important?"

The cat takes a big whiff of it. "This is Eve's favorite treat." His gaze snaps up at me. For a moment, I think he's about to pounce at me before he goes and sits down again. His black tail hangs off the edge of the table.

Mama's going to kill me. 

"Maybe you really didn't take her." But the way he says it sounds like he's trying to convince himself more than me. 

"That's what I've been trying to tell you!" I throw my hands up.

Gazes shoot towards me. With a sheepish smile I lower my arms and turn back to the cat. "Now can you please leave? My Mama's not going to be happy when she's sees me talking with the witch's cat."