15

Selene

Home is quiet. The windows are closed, and no lights emit from it. It's just like the rest of the town. I hope Mama turns out to be different from them.

We silently make our way into the house. Through the dark I lead them to the kitchen. As I light the single candle on the table, Eve sits down. Matias hops up and sits in her lap, her hand reaching up to stroke his head. Calchas lands on the back of the chair.

"Are you good to wait here while I wake Mama?"

Eve nods.

I nod back before leaving the room and making my way down the hall to Mama's room. I pause for a moment outside my own. Should I pack my things? Just in case.

With a shake of my head, I continue on. Mama's door is slightly ajar, and with a small push it swings wide open. Her soft snores fill the room as I tip-toe to the side of her bed.

"Mama," I whisper.

 Her head snaps off the pillow as her eyes slowly drift open. "What?" she asks, her voice thick from sleep.

"Mama, can we talk?"

"What time is it?" She blinks up at me. 

"I'm not sure... some time very early." I give her a sheepish smile.

She groans as she flips onto her back. "Give me a few minutes, okay sweetie?"

I nod and leave her room, but I don't go back to the kitchen. Instead I stand outside her door, leaning against the wall. Her groans, her yawns, and her mumbles reach me as I wait. As I wait I play with a loose string on my shirt.

"What are you doing out here?" I look up to find her standing in the doorway.

"Waiting for you."

She glances down the hall to where a strip of light from the candle dances against the floorboards. "Why not in the kitchen?"

I'm quiet for a moment, trying to think of what to tell her. "You'll see." I lace my arm through hers.

She raises a brow. "Why are you being sneaky?"

I gulp but don't respond. The floorboards creak under us. 

As we enter the kitchen, Mama's arm goes rigid in mine. At the same time, she inhales sharply. I don't turn my gaze to her as I guide her to the only other chair. Once she's seated, I grab her a glass of water. Throughout the time it takes me, no one speaks.

The plink of the glass hitting the table fills the silence.

"What is she doing here?" Mama finally asks.

I stand between the two of them, no chair left for me. The words start slow and quiet as I tell Mama what has happened since the witch went missing. The words come faster as the tale goes on, and my voice gets louder as my confidence fills up.

The whole time, Mama sits quietly. Her hands grip the cup before her, and her gaze almost never leaves Eves. But her eyes widen and snap to me when I tell her what I did.

"Mama?" I ask once I'm done.

She stares down into the water I've poured for her. Is she looking for answers in there? I can only wonder.

"Will you say something?" I hadn't noticed he moved until my hand is resting on fur. Matias looks up at me as I stroke his head.

"I need you to know I love you. I love you so much." Her eyes are teary as she gazes at me. " I am so, so, proud of you."

"You don't hate me?" I whisper, my own eyes getting tear filled.

She shakes her head. "I could never hate you." Her hand reaches out to me, palm up.