Chapter 20

DECLAN

══════════════════

Bree Logan is a fucking gateway drug.

My body has had an unexpected reaction to finally having sex with her. I think I may be coming unhinged. Ever since the other night, she's all I can think about. I've beat my cock so much it feels raw and I still can't get her out of my head. So now that she's here at my door, I'm half convinced my obsession has graduated to full-on hallucination.

I opened the door expecting to see Eli, but instead I found Bree standing here in the hall. And she's real—at least, I think she is. I could still be high from the joint I smoked earlier.

She's standing here in a light blue sweater and white pants, chewing her bottom lip. I haven't seen her since she kicked me out of her apartment and, fuck me, my mind immediately flashes back to what she looks like with her lips parted and cheeks flushed as she fists the sheets.

My first instinct is that she's here for another round, but then I sense something odd: fear.

Someone scared her. Fatal mistake on their part.

"What happened?" I ask just as she's opening her mouth to speak.

"Oh I... uh... Hi. So it's probably nothing, I think I'm just paranoid."

I step closer, wrapping my hand around the back of her head and tilting it slightly so that her gaze meets mine. I can't help but find a little satisfaction in the way her cheeks flush. "What happened?" I ask again.

"I probably just forgot, but it kind of spooked me. See, I came home and my door was unlocked, and I swear I locked it but m-"

My pulse quickens and an uneasy feeling builds in my chest. I grab my keys and step out into the hallway, locking the door behind me before turning back to Bree.

"Did you go inside?"

She shakes her head. "No. Not yet."

"Good girl," I say. Her lips fall open and lust flickers in her eyes.

Oh, so she likes that does she?

I pinch my eyes shut, telling myself to stay focused.

Someone may have come for Bree. She may be in danger.

I open my eyes again and scan the hallway. Guiding her with a soft hand at her elbow, we walk down to her door.

"I'm sorry, this is probably nothing, b-"

"Don't," I say, cutting her off. "You did the right thing. If this ever happens, I want to be on your goddamn speed dial. I don't care if you forgot to lock your door, Bree. Never fucking risk it."

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" she asks quietly as we reach her place. "I mean, if there really is someone in there, they could just serial-kill us both."

"Technically that would be a spree killing," I say with a soft chuckle.

"I'm serious. What if you get hurt?"

I blink a few times, processing her words. I can't remember the last time someone actually gave a damn about anything happening to me. It feels strange and unfamiliar.

But I don't know how to reply. It's not like I can tell her that I'm a full-blood Cupid with enough juice to take on a whole football team worth of assailants.

"Don't worry about me. I can handle myself just fine." She gives me an uneasy look, so I reach into my back pocket and pull out my pocket knife. I flip it open, revealing the thick four-inch blade. "There. I'm armed. Feel better?"