Chapter 5

"What do you mean you're moving me to a different store?" I asked. It had only been a week since I started at my dad's store, so why was he moving me?

Dad sighed and stood. He walked over to the window and pointed at the registers. Jenny was the only one checking out customers. "I mean that I think you're a little too fixated on her." 

"I'm not fixated on her at all!" I really wasn't. Except when she was in the back with all the other young guys. That was dangerous for her as all of them had a thing for her. Also when she was stocking things, I did take care to make sure she was okay. Surely he didn't mean those things. I wasn't fixated on her. "I pay attention to other people who work here."

Dad turned to me. "Name all the guys in the storeroom that you normally work with."

"It's only been a week!"

"Then how do you expect to be able to pass out checks? You need to know everyone's name. Or were you hoping I didn't realize you were asking everyone their name? Son, look, I don't want to do it, but I can't keep someone around that's a potential legal issue."

"I don't want to drive all the way to the next store to do what I could be doing here. It's not fair."

"She's not going anywhere, son. Because she's not going anywhere, the best I can do is send you somewhere else. You have a car. She doesn't. It only makes sense that you go somewhere. At the rate you're going, I'm really worried. I know you."

Hot tears were pressing against my eyes, and anxiety was threatening to overwhelm me even as my stomach dropped to my feet. "How about I quit? Would that work for you?" 

"Brayden!"

I stood and stormed out of the office, not listening to whatever it was Dad was saying to try to stop me. As I passed the registers, my eyes found Jenny. She was watching me, curiosity in both her face and her eyes. It was the first time they held something other than sadness. 

My heart sped up, so I refocused on what was in front of me. I couldn't let myself walk into something on the way out - especially because I was looking at her. That would only prove my father right.

As I reached the bus stop, I was wishing I hadn't walked out, but it wasn't like I could just walk back in there after leaving like that. Yet, the only thing I could think about were Jenny's eyes. I had never seen her look that way. My heart flipped at the thought that I chased the sadness out of her eyes, even for a moment.

What was I going to do now? I got fired from my first job at the store. My instincts told me that I needed to protect Jenny, but I knew she'd be fine. She had been so far, so why would she need me now? Where had my logic even gone? 

The came and I climbed on, trying to figure myself out. I thought back to the last girl I seriously dated. She was pretty, but it was more of an average beauty. We were happy together, but what drew me to her was more her attitude. She was a humble person that loved to help others. I was drawn to that. Looking back, I think I was somehow hoping she'd end up saving me from my family. 

It was a stupid notion. One I should never have had in the first place. Especially when she easily went from me to Charlie within days with seemingly no struggle whatsoever. 

As I watched the scenery slide by, I recounted every crush I'd had. Every time it was on a girl that seemed like she could reach a hand out to me. The longer I analyzed myself, the more frustrated I became. What kind of man needed to be saved? What kind of man doesn't want to be the one reaching out a hand? 

By the time I reached my empty house, I was livid at myself. Was I really a selfish person? The only answer I could find for myself was yes. 

I let myself into the house, listening to the dull squeak of the door hinges in the endless silence emanating from the space. My footsteps seemed loud as I went to my room. The door clicked shut as I let myself kneel on the carpet.