Epilogue

I don't like myself. 

That's what was going through my mind as the bruises on her body haunted every waking hour. Not only did I ruin prom, but I turned into a bully at work, not listening to anything she told me. I couldn't undo all of that. It took someone beating her to the point she was covered in bruises and cuts for me to even realize what I was doing.

Charlie had always been the guy that didn't care about other people. I was trying to catch up to him, but I always knew that was impossible for me. We were too different. I was nice; he wasn't. Or maybe I should say he just didn't care. That was probably more accurate. 

Jenny won everything. Every argument, every conversation. My heart. I was more and more in love with her every day. She hated me, though. I thought she was coming around when we went to prom, but now? Now she hated me. I thought she may call me and request to leave, but I knew that would probably never happen. 

I slid a hand under my head and reached for the ceiling with my other hand - the one that held hers earlier that evening. She only held my hand because it was her graduation, I knew, but I'd take whatever I could get. 

A sigh escaped me as I rolled over in my bed. Things had been ruined, but she did give me a small glimmer of hope: the promise that we were leaving in a week. If I did that, she said she'd forgive me. I couldn't think of a single thing I wanted more than that other than for her to be mine, but I didn't think that was a possibility. Not now.

I tried to close my eyes and get some sleep, but it didn't want to come. Granted, it was only nine, but I had barely slept every night that week, so I was worn out. 

Right about then my phone began to ring. I didn't recognize the number, but there was only one person I could think of that could possibly be calling this late. The only problem was that I thought I had Charlie's number in my phone. I answered, but before "hello" could even come out of my mouth, they were speaking. "I need you to do something for me," said a familiar girl's voice. 

I let out a relieved sigh and asked, "What do you need, Jenny?"

"I need you to buy a suitcase for me. The biggest one you can find. Then I need you to come to my apartment."

I pushed the covers off of me and sat up. "Why do you need it now? Why didn't you ask for a suitcase before? Can't I bring it in the morning?" I knew full well that I'd do anything she told me, whether she needed something right this minute or the next day. 

"No, I need it now. I'll pay you back for it in cash. I promise. I'm not asking you to donate that money. Oh, also, I need to leave tonight. I can't wait a week."

"But-"

"I have my reasons." Something loud in the background seemed to be getting louder. "You may want to hurry. The police are almost here."

"The police? Are you okay? What happened?"

"I'll explain when we're outside of Rapid Falls. You can tell your parents we're leaving so they don't worry, but don't tell them where we're going. Otherwise, they'll just tell Marvin."

"Okay, fine. I'll be there as soon as I can." She hung up before I could move the phone away from my ear. 

What happened?

I threw on some clothes and threw my suitcase on the bed. Clothes flew into it, nothing folded like I normally liked it. I wasn't even sure half of what I tossed in was clean. Probably half of what I was going to need if I was away for more than two days was probably all in the bathroom. I'd just have to make do with hotel stuff for now.

Freshly packed, I hurried to the living room where my parents were. I put my suitcase by the door and walked into the room. Charlie, not so surprisingly, was there with them. "Where are you going?" Dad asked.