Chapter 11

"Mom, slow down and back this up a bit," I said, not quite sure of what she told me. "What's wrong?"

She took a deep breath, the exhale making crackling sounds as it came across the line. "Your dad is in the ER. He fell down the stairs."

"How is he?"

She sniffled. "He's saying he's fine, but the doctor is running some tests to be sure he's okay."

Dad would say he's fine even if he knew he wasn't. He didn't like being fussed over. "I'm on my way there."

"What? No. Enjoy your evening. You're finally out with your girl. She's beautiful, too. It'd be a waste to come to the hospital."

"She would also be mad if I kept quiet and didn't tell her anything."

Mom sighed. "Fine. Do whatever you want."

"I will." I hung up and went back into the gym. I found Jenny and touched her shoulder, making her jump. "We need to go," I said quietly, making sure only she could hear me. 

"Everything okay?" Her brow furrowed and her face looked pinched. All the air of having fun left in a moment.

I felt bad for it, but I had no choice. "I'll explain in the car." I waved at the other kids with a forced smile. "We're heading out now. Gotta get this one back before she turns into a pumpkin."

"What are you talking about?" I grabbed her arm and gave it a small tug, trying to get her to move to leave already. She turned to her friends and said, "I'll see you guys tomorrow." She finally came with me. We went out to my car where I opened her door before getting in myself. "Okay, so tell me what this is all about. I swear, if you say anything about Charlie or drinking-"

"Dad's at the ER."

It looked like time stopped for her for a moment. "What? Is he okay? What happened?"

I started the car and pulled out of my parking spot. "As far as I know, he's going to be okay, but he fell down the stairs at our place. He fell from the second floor to the first. Mom doesn't know how he is yet, but she said he was in pain, but otherwise seemed okay when she saw him last."

We spent the ride in silence. I was grateful for it, but it still just left me time to get lost in my thoughts. 

---

"Careful," I warned Dad. 

He shot me a glare. "Like I can do anything anyway," he said. His leg was in traction, so he couldn't get out of bed. I knew he hated having other people wait on him hand and foot, but this was what happened when someone falls almost a full story. If they managed to only get away with a broken leg. That didn't stop him from trying to roll over in the bed, though.

"You shouldn't be doing anything, anyway. You have a broken leg and a fractured leg. You're getting over a concussion, too. You should just be lying there in that bed being grateful you didn't fall through the bars and land on the rock garden." I didn't want to think about what would have happened then. 

"How's work been since I've been gone?" 

"Fine." I had been running the store for only a day, but of course he would be asking. That place was his other child. "Jenny is a tough nut to crack, though. She's the first one to speak up about everything. I never pegged her as someone like that."

Dad chuckled. "She's one tough cookie. Don't let her fool you - she's been through a lot and is still going through a rough situation at home, but she's dedicated. She's worth every penny I pay her."

I frowned. "Dad, I've been looking at the books," I started quietly. "There's a lot of potential to make nearly double what you're bringing in."

He looked at me. "You mean advertising? I do that already. Plus, I've been running that place most of your life. I'm the only grocery store with a wide selection of items in town. There's no way I could get more people coming. Everyone knows about me."